Feedback on my boat site

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
Mark, Elite 32, Hopkinton

Feedback on my boat site

Post by Mark, Elite 32, Hopkinton »

I am part way through building our site at

http://www.wilme.net/Sailing

The site is unfinished - a work in progress, but I would appreciate any feedback, either here or at Porttack@attbi.com

Thanks
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Mark,

Your site looks like its coming together nicely. Content is good, and I really like the thumbnail galleries you have created.

The following is purely personal preference:
I personally find it hard to read type that is on top of a complex background image. Even if, as in your case, the image is ghosted back. Again, personal preference. I run my monitors at very high resolution, since I'm a graphic designer and I work on huge graphics files all day, so the type on most sites renders quite small....

The other thing that warrents careful consideration is a site architecture thing. You may well have already hashed this issue out in your head, but one thing I noticed is that your menu already has quite a few choices. Here's the potential issue I see: scope creep. The thing I might be concerned about is that your sidebar menu might get so large as to become unwieldy. This is something that started happening on my site, and during my redesign, I did some serious restructuring, and grouped things under general categories, to help keep my main menu relatively simple.

There are two sides to that coin, of course. The first being that too much content in one place can be unwieldy... the other side is that the content should be accessible with as few clicks as possible. Its a fine line to walk. . .

Anyhow, those are my initial thoughts. As I said, I think it is coming together nicely. Do you mind if I link to your site from my links page? Or would you like me to wait till its further along?

Also: if I sounded preachy or condescending above, it wasn't my intention!