Hi ... I'm new here.

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Hi ... I'm new here.

Post by Skipper599 »

... Bless all in this house.
... Hello to all. I'd like to introduce myself. ... Name: Bob
... I recently became aware of this forum. I've been trying to 'communicate' with the guys on another sailboat forum for a little while. I kind of 'got the feelin' - If you don't own a wooden boat, don't be botherin' us. ... Read as: Not really friendly.

... Somehow the name of this forum came up and so, I've been lurking for a couple of weeks. I must say, I like what I see. Friendly folk with lots of sound advice etc. on a variety of build/maintenance subjects.

... I see the site is basically related to Triton's and yet, you seem comfortable to include other makes and designs. This gives me some encouragement to introduce another good vessel.

... My boat is a Passage 24, which is a modification of naval architect T. O. Gillmer' original Blue Moon. Designed in 1946 as a 23' gaff-rigged yawl for himself, this boat was modeled after the straight stemmed, long keeled Falmouth work-boats of SW England.

... The modification was performed in the early '80's by G. Shannon n.a. of Vancouver. BC. That being a raised free-board and full length house, providing 6' walk-through headroom throughout. (I'll post pics/drwgs. if and when I figure out how to).

... That is probably enough for my first post but I will be perusing the forum for subjects pertinent to my interests and curiosity.

... Old Irish Blessing: "And may the wind at yer back not be caused by the Cabbage and Corned beef yuz had fer dinner tonight."
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
JonnyBoats

Post by JonnyBoats »

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, you will find a little bit of everything here and lots of differing opinions on most any subject. From personal experience I can tell you I have learned allot here.

People here range from complete newcomers to boating to some of the most seasoned professionals in the business. The common factors are that virtually all are working on their own boats and a willingness to share their experiences and what they have learned.

One quick tip, if you share photos of your boat you will be extremely popular here. Everyone loves photos!
John Tarbox
S/V Altair, a LeComte NorthEast 38
http://www.boatmaine.us
cmartin
Almost a Finish Carpenter

Post by cmartin »

Welcome
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

I see the site is basically related to Triton's
Not at all.

The reason you see a lot of Tritons here is because if you are going to tear a boat down to a bare hull then there is no point in starting with a finely finished boat.

Tritons are one of the cheapest 'classics' around and a good starting point for a major rebuild - well built but rather crude and crying out for customization.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Tom Javor
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Pandalus
Boat Type: 1964 Sailmaster 22D hull #3

photos

Post by Tom Javor »

here's the link to the instructions for posting pictures.

http://plasticclassicforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4068

Sounds far more complicated than it actually is.

Checked out the listing for your boat's design on sailboatdata.com - very nice. Another one to add to my shoping list......

Welcome
TJ
Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

bcooke wrote:
I see the site is basically related to Triton's
Not at all.

The reason you see a lot of Tritons here is because if you are going to tear a boat down to a bare hull then there is no point in starting with a finely finished boat.

Tritons are one of the cheapest 'classics' around and a good starting point for a major rebuild - well built but rather crude and crying out for customization.
... Aha! Not only a poor choice of words, but also an assumption on my part.
... But surely you jest Sir with your comment on the Triton? ... I've yet to come across any boat I would describe as ... cheap? LOL.
... But thanks for the friendly welcome.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Welcome, Bob!

I don't know the Passage 24, but if it's a modification of a the Blue Moon, well, you're starting out on the right foot :)

I hope you will post photos - I'd love to see them (and as was mentioned, I'm not alone in that).

Rachel
Triton 185
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: O'day Mariner, Pearson Triton

Post by Triton 185 »

Hi Bob....welcome to the forum.
My boat is a Passage 24, which is a modification of naval architect T. O. Gillmer' original Blue Moon. Designed in 1946 as a 23' gaff-rigged yawl for himself, this boat was modeled after the straight stemmed, long keeled Falmouth work-boats of SW England.
I have a friend from England who has a Falmouth working boat on the West Coast of Canada. Nice vessel, very heavy and lot's of canvas.

I know you have been asked...some picture would be great!
"The more you know, the less you need."
Yvon Chouinard
David

Post by David »

Gillmer's designs are all lovely. Welcome aboard.

David
Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Post by Peter »

Welcome Bob!
For the rest of you drooling for pics, here is a link to what I think is a Passage 24 like Bob's.
That is one sweet little ship !!!
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

Peter wrote:Welcome Bob!
For the rest of you drooling for pics, here is a link to what I think is a Passage 24 like Bob's.
That is one sweet little ship !!!
... Thanks Peter, Yes, that one was built by a firefighter in Coquitlam. It has since changed hands. There's another one in your neck of the woods I believe. It is all white, name: 'Englander'

... There were five of them built in total, all owner finished ... no two alike. Mine will be no different. The others are all sloops, but I'm installing a Cutter rig ... which is what Tom Gillmer originally planned.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

Zach
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Zach »

Welcome... Bob!
1961 Pearson Triton
http://pylasteki.blogspot.com/
1942 Coast Guard Cutter - Rebuild
http://83footernoel.blogspot.com/
Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

Zach wrote:Welcome... Bob!
... Hi there Zach, good to hear from you, and thanks for the welcome. I seem to have made myself quite 'at home' here, having put up some pics of my project that appear to have been well received. I hope you enjoy them too.

... My main purpose of joining this forum was probably much the same as others here, and that is to gain knowledge of 'how to do it right' ... hopefully, the first time around, instead of after many 're-dos'. Also, I appreciate the opinions of all who care to 'critique' my work. It's what makes us better I do believe.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'