Ike v. Texas

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
keelbolts
Skilled Systems Installer

Ike v. Texas

Post by keelbolts »

Anybody heard anything from the Texas/Louisiana side of the family? I've really been concerned about our Gulf coast forumites.
Celerity - 1970 Morgan 30

How much deeper would the ocean be without sponges in it?
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

Ike really packed more of a punch than I anticipated. While Texas bore the brunt, we actually got more storm surge than during Gustav (7+ feet) and tropical storm conditions that lasted for a couple of days. I've had my boat tied up for storms since TS Fay - I'm going to take those lines off in a show of optimism this weekend.

I have roof damage, but THANKFULLY did not flood. Much of my neighborhood did flood - I had water over my entire yard and underneath my (slightly) raised house.

A couple shots of the marina are below. This is a couple days after Ike passed - I tried to get to the marina the night before, but the water was too deep. In most places it was chest high. When these photos were taken, the water was waist deep.

I went out to check on the boat again last night. There are thousands of fish and shrimp around the park area and some on my dock. Most are collected in the ditches. It smells awful.

I had no damage to Rambunctious. Damage to other boats is mostly limited to sails and biminis. I just can't understand why people don't take these down during storms.

I am very relieved to hear that Charlie and Laura escaped unscathed. Charlie - I was thinking about you as Ike approached.

More photos are at: http://www.rambunctiousracing.com/ike.html

A friend's Alberg 30:

- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
keelbolts
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by keelbolts »

4 or 5 years ago, when we were hit by Isabel, I had about 8" of water in my house. It was nothing like the 4' of muddy water you see on TV, but even the little bit of water we took on was a huge pain in the butt. It made me more empathetic to flood victims.
Celerity - 1970 Morgan 30

How much deeper would the ocean be without sponges in it?