FIRST SAIL ON JOLLYBOAT #466

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
jollyboat
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Jollyboat
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

FIRST SAIL ON JOLLYBOAT #466

Post by jollyboat »

Sunday August 3rd. After four years of "part timing it" on JOLLYBOAT - I was finally able to go for a sail. JOLLYBOAT is still gutted out below to the extent where the gally, icebox and head are removed as well as the trim short of the companionway ladder. This summer has been spent installing all the gear needed to install the motor (A-4). This installation includes new "everything" that is associated with a motor installation.
Otherwise the boat is very sound, electricals are up and running as is the regular gear typically found aboard for safe sailing. The boat sailed very well, albeit, with a very dirty bottom but the new sails pulled JOLLYBOAT along with a zeal. I hope to lower the motor into the boat tonight. The boat has actually been able and ready to sail now for at least two years but my mooring is deep inside a very narrow and crowded river which is nearly impossible to sail from. This weekend I towed the boat to an open , single point mooring so that I could sail the boat. At the end of the day - I had a great time but now I need to get back to work and complete this project.
Last edited by jollyboat on Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466
Sepi,Triton #346 (1st, Triton)

No Quarter
Triton 53
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Alli-Ann
Boat Type: Triton

Post by Triton 53 »

It's my turn to say "Great Job"

Congrats!!!
"Alli-Ann" Triton #53
Edgewood Yacht Club

Basic research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing.
Wernher von Braun
jollyboat

Post by jollyboat »

Thanks Pete. Last night I was able to truck the A-4 from Norwalk to Old Greenwich where I have the boat on a mooring. By the time I was able to get the motor out of the truck and into a wagon it was dark and I was too tired to go further. The mooring that I am on belongs to a friend who's house is on the water and they have a dock that is connected to a peir. I intend on using the dock's ramp hoist to lower the A-4 back into the boat. With my being pretty much spent last night, I stopped trying to get the A-4 to the hoist when I got the stairs. I really don't want to spill the engine out of the wagon due not having help and not thinking this through a little bit. All in good time. In the mean time, I do not intend on reinstalling the ice box or galley in the same manner - if at all. For now I have the batteries and Verna-Lift, exhaust water lift installed where the ice box was and the fuel tank where the galley was (10 gallon, ABS plastic fuel tank) I will eventually cover this gear with built in cabinate work so the basic interior will look similar but will function a little differently.
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466

No Quarter
Zach
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Zach »

Thats great news!

Good work, and good luck with the engine!

Zach
1961 Pearson Triton
http://pylasteki.blogspot.com/
1942 Coast Guard Cutter - Rebuild
http://83footernoel.blogspot.com/
jollyboat

Post by jollyboat »

Zach,
Thanks brother. I hope your own project is going well. I often check your blog to keep up with progress. My own blog needs updating and I need to get you guys some pictures but what the hell - only so much time in the day. http://triton466.blogspot.com/ More engine work tonight.
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466

No Quarter
Allen

Post by Allen »

Brian, sounds like you are almost there, congratulations mate, fair winds.
Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position

jollyboat

engine now in the boat

Post by jollyboat »

Last Sunday morning at 5:30 the tide, wind and sea conditions allowed for me to bring the boat along side the stone peir head and lower the engine into the boat and onto it's bed. I did not run into any issues to speak of though there was a ton of prep that allowed for that. Anyway - I am very glad to have accomplished this task. This weekend I hope to complete the installation and get everything hooked up. I bench tested the engine first at my house - which was fun - of course there was a ton of prep on that front too. I hit Moyer Marine up pretty hard. Among many other items, I purchased a carb rebuild kit an electronic fuel pump, as well as an electronic ignition kit.
I also opted for the fresh water cooling kit. The plugs were cleaned, the wires seem to be fine as is the coil. The oil was changed. Once I had the fuel delivery sorted out the engine fired right up. I am making this sound easy but it required about 20 plus hours of prep before I was able to bench test. The sound of the engine puring on the rear deck of the house brought on big grins.
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466

No Quarter
keelbolts
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by keelbolts »

Congratulations on your sail. It will help you, in the hard moments, to remember why you're doing what you're doing.
Celerity - 1970 Morgan 30

How much deeper would the ocean be without sponges in it?
jollyboat

Post by jollyboat »

Thanks Jeff,
Since my original posting of this thread, I have been successful in getting the engine installed in the boat and up and running. I have now been sailing like the true "sailing junkie" that am. 466 sails very well and I am very happy with her speed. The new sails are enormously fun and really pull the boat along nicely.
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466

No Quarter