Whoops, or stronger expressions of dismay.

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Whoops, or stronger expressions of dismay.

Post by Quetzalsailor »

We brought the dog down and I enjoyed an adventure: Sunday, 6 AM. Took the dawg ashore while Sue slept on. Walked back to the dink, loaded the dawg, got aboard, untied the dink leaving a loop over the cleat, stood on the painter and the dawg leash, started the motor. Then, things got interesting. I failed to flip the painter off the cleat; the dink went into the dock; the motor hit the dock sideways and came off the boat. It did not float.

Tied the dawg, tied the dink, off the shoes and shorts, into the water, reached down at the bubbles, picked up the motor. Rowed back to Q; Sue sleeps on. Dissassembled the covers, removed the spark plug and carburetor. Poured the water out. Sprayed WD-40 liberally into cylinder and valve body while cranking the motor. Drained and sprayed WD-40 into the carburetor. Reassembled the motor.

Started on the severalth pull but made a horrible racket. Found that the sheer pin in the prop had broken. Replaced the pin and the motor started with one pull, drove around for a while. Worked on Q until 3ish pm; the motor started on one pull each time it was required. I'd like to think I'd run it long enough to spread the oily fuel around and evaporate remaining water.

Amazing!
Ronin120
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by Ronin120 »

Quetzalsailor,

Your description triggered a memory of what happened to the outboard on my old race boat.

I sold it to a good friend of mine who continued to race it. The boat sank in the slip during the winter Frostibite series about 9 years ago. When the boat was re-floated the one thing the diver did was put to the engine back in the water. Later, after arrangements were made, it was pulled up and sent directly to the local repair shop. They serviced and returned it. I think they just cleaned, lubed and oiled it a bit and that was pretty much it. A new sparkplug.

Last April I was crewing on a friend's Cal 25 for the NOOD's and laughingly remarked to the current owner (2x) when that same motor started on the second pull that a little bottom time didn't seem to have hurt it at all.

Go to "http://www.cal25.com/", select the "More Cal Info" link, then click on the "Sunk!" link. Interesting photos.

Unfortunately that strategy won't work for the boat that I was supposed be racing to Bermuda right now. It's sitting in 165' of water in the Atlantic off Long Island quickly becoming a fishing reef. But that's another story...

Cheers
Dave
1982 C&C 37 - under reconstruction
1988 Mako 26 CC - don't laugh, it needs work too.
1970's vintage Snipe
1970 Islander 37 - sold
1968 Cal 25 - sold but still racing...

Wave Man
Case
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Case »

Was the race boat that's supposed to be going to Bermuda right now... is it that Beneteau sailboat? I forget its name.

- Case
Ronin120
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Long Island....

Post by Ronin120 »

Case,

"Making Waves" - A Beneteau First 40.7. It was on delivery to Newport from Annapolis and about 15 nm off the Eastern part of Long Island. It appears the carbon-fiber rudder shaft snapped. Ultimately they couldn't control the flooding.

Friends of mine and everyone safely pulled off by a C.G. MLB.

http://www.newsday.com/news/printeditio ... 2365.story

Best
Dave
1982 C&C 37 - under reconstruction
1988 Mako 26 CC - don't laugh, it needs work too.
1970's vintage Snipe
1970 Islander 37 - sold
1968 Cal 25 - sold but still racing...

Wave Man