A cranky Swedish Builder? Nice note Sven...or something

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
Noah
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Noah »

I thought you guys would like the note I uncovered when I removed a "charlie noble" from the cabin top that had been used for an on-demand water heater.

On the bronze fitting it's self is written:
"Your Dame American. This boat is very bad built. You ("are" crossed out) have been falt (which I think they must have meant "told"). HA.M"

I had a good long laugh about it - 30 years later the only problem with the construction of the boat I could find was it being over built. I'm assuming they got into the aquavit a bit early one day and he let me have it - probably thinking no-one would ever find his note. The hole in the cabin top was through a plywood insert, and the plywood looked like it did the day it was cut.

Anyway, the note:
I want a shop!
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Nice.

Gives me hope that those notes I sprinkled around all those years ago will be read and enjoyed someday :-)
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
feetup
Almost a Finish Carpenter

Post by feetup »

Almost like being an archaeologist, with messages from antiquity. You even have to interpret the ancient language.

Tim J
MikeD
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Post by MikeD »

The end kind of looks like "HA!!" to me...
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
Ganges #363
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by Ganges #363 »

What kind of boat is it?
Noah
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Noah »

The boat is a Swede 55 built in 1977.

Mike, you might be right. I believe it is HA. M - I still think it's pretty funny.

When I was building houses we wrote some pretty ugly things in hidden places for others to find. Some day it will be good for another laugh.
I want a shop!
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

bcooke wrote:Gives me hope that those notes I sprinkled around all those years ago will be read and enjoyed someday :-)
Um... during your aircraft mechanic days? See this is why I hate to fly...

R.
AJ
Almost a Finish Carpenter

Re: A cranky Swedish Builder? Nice note Sven...or something

Post by AJ »

That's a great find! Those crazy disgruntled boatbuilding swedes and the wacky things they do... ;)
Noah wrote:"Your Dame American. This boat is very bad built. You ("are" crossed out) have been falt (which I think they must have meant "told"). HA.M"
Every other "A" is capitalized in the message, so I read the third sentence as, "You have been folt (fooled)."

Altogether, I translate it as: "You['re] [dumb] American. This boat is very bad[ly] built. You have been [fooled]. Ha."

AJ
Robert The Gray

Post by Robert The Gray »

When I was crewing on a submarine support ship stationed out of Oslo, I had the chance to hear a tale of a woman who used to haunt the docks and boat yards of Sweden. My chief at the time was a guy by the name of Chuck Nobel. He was drunk when he told me this story but he always lied when he was sober so I guess I should believe him. It seems that this American dame would lure unsuspecting swedes to their tragic ruin with hopeful stories of Arizona lake sailing and Florida sunsets, that kind of stuff. She would tempt them with tastes of the early micro brew beers from San Francisco and Boston and regale them with the exploits of her best friends, Porter and Hefeweisen. She would tell them if they built a boat for her, she would sail off with them and together they would spend her vast fortune on sunscreen, high tech ropes, and adult personal hygiene products. In the end she would always deny the ship builders their pay for petty concerns about quality and workmanship. Sending fax after fax of complaints till eventually she sent several freelance layup boys completely bonkers. Each of the 14 boats she commissioned were eventually towed to sea and burned. Total losses and smelly too. Tough times, eh? It seems that this HA M. writer fellow has met this woman. You are lucky Noah, your boat didn't get towed to sea and burned. It would have smelled bad. Must be your captain like name...but then again maybe I am mistaken, this story could be from a book I had thought about reading but never got around to. Anyway........

I imagine this post has been mildly tangent or at least distantly convergent to the original idea that was under discussion, what ever that was.

ramble on little doggies
ramble on.

r.
Former Owner: Whisper, now Alma 1960 WC Triton
Whisper Projects
Daysailfilms
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

You are the master...
-Britton
Work is overrated.

The Website
The Blog
MQMurphy
Topside Painter
Boat Name: Ikey Boy
Boat Type: Paceship Westwind 24

CN?

Post by MQMurphy »

Okay, folks - a Charlie Noble is a ________?
Thanks in advance.
- Mike Murphy
S/V Ikey Boy
1968 Westwind 24
Robert The Gray

to quote some unknown Wiki source

"Around 1850 A.D., a British merchant service captain, Charles Noble, upon discovering that the stack of his ship's galley was made of copper, ordered that it be kept bright. Then onwards, the ship's crew then started referring to the galley smokestack as the "Charlie Noble"

r
Whisper Projects
Daysailfilms
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

When I was crewing on a submarine support ship stationed out of Oslo...
Betyr det som du kan norske eller?...
-Britton
Work is overrated.

The Website
The Blog
Robert The Gray

In a pathetic attempt to make my spewing relevant I made up the fact that I was familiar with Sweden. I was in the Navy SeaBees and stationed in Guam and Sicily. So my foreign language skills include several useful construction expletives in Italian, Tagalog, and Chamoro, but alas no Swedish. I was trying my hand at the Tall Tale style.

r[/u]
Whisper Projects
Daysailfilms
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

Ummm.... Olso is the capital of NORWAY and the inquiry was in NORWEGIAN.

For the record, norwegians are paricularly offended when confused with Swedes.

Furthermore, under rules of full disclosure, I have a very limited norwegian vocabulary and I butchered it in an attempt to sound colloquial.

Savvy?
-Britton
Work is overrated.

The Website
The Blog