How to "draw" on photos and diagrams?

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

How to "draw" on photos and diagrams?

Post by Rachel »

Here's something I've been wondering for awhile:

I've seen where posters "draw" on photos or diagrams (for example you circle an item and say "this spot here"), but I can't figure out how to do it although I'm sure it must be something relatively simple.

At work I use your basic Windows XP type computer. Nothing fancy on it like Photoshop, but most of the typical programs that come on it.

At home I have an "ancient" G3 iBook laptop, again with the usual programs that come on it. (OS 10.3.9).

Can anyone explain how I do this? I'd especially like to be able to do it on my home computer.

Here's a .jpg excerpt from a recent post by Sal's Dad that shows one example of what I mean. In this example it looks like his additions are typed in, but usually they look hand-written:

Thanks,

Rachel
LazyGuy
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Post by LazyGuy »

Rachael,

I don't know about anyone else but I right click on the file; open with; MS Paint. Use paint to mark it up then save it as a jpg.
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.
sal's dad
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by sal's dad »

Yup = that's how I do it - you can use most any photo-editing or graphics program for this - Paint and a bunch of others are free, as I recall.

Life is too short to own an ugly boat
I disagree - Life is too short to own a PRETTY boat! Who has time to do all that fussing, when you could be out on the water having fun in an old beater!
LazyGuy
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Post by LazyGuy »

SD,

A pretty boat can be a boat that needs a lot of work. (nice lines, rotted toe rail, no paint) An ugly boat is an ugly boat. Also, if you are on this forum, chances are you do not have an ugly boat. You also do not have a boat in perfect condition (except in your dreams). If you did actually own a perfect boat you would be bored to tears and looking for a project. That is me and it is the rest of us here on PCF.

I would prefer my old Luders 33 to a new 40+ foot Bennahuntalina any day of the week although a walk through transom/swim platform would be handy.
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

LazyGuy wrote:...although a walk through transom/swim platform would be handy.
Nothing a chainsaw can't fix...

;<)
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: How to "draw" on photos and diagrams?

Post by Rachel »

Rachel wrote:Here's something I've been wondering for awhile: I've seen where posters "draw" on photos or diagrams (for example you circle an item and say "this spot here"), but I can't figure out how to do it although I'm sure it must be something relatively simple.
Major dredge, but I ran across this thread by searching for something unrelated, so I thought I would update (especially since, in even fairly recent Internet postings, I have run across Mac users asking the same question).

I'm not sure when this feature was upgraded because I skipped a few OS's when I "renewed" my computer, but as of around version 5, at least (which is included in the Snow Leopard OS), the native Apple application "Preview" allows one to annotate photos. Circles, arrows, and boxes of text (Arlo Guthrie would be proud), plus more. "Preview" used to be ridiculously basic; now it's still basic in terms of being easy/simple/free, but is much more useful.

Very handy!
Preview demo.jpg
Rachel

PS: I believe the boat is member Tom Young's lovely Alden Challenger.
Triton 53
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Alli-Ann
Boat Type: Triton

Post by Triton 53 »

The famous 27 8 X 10 color glossy pics!
"Alli-Ann" Triton #53
Edgewood Yacht Club

Basic research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing.
Wernher von Braun
earlylight
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Post by earlylight »

Hmmmm...shades of Alice's Restaurant. :-)
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
Maine Sail
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Maine Sail »

I use MS Paint, all PC's have it, though I am not very good at it. This was my latest..

I also use MS Paint for drawing on photos..
-Maine Sail

Canadian Sailcraft 36T
Casco Bay, ME
http://www.marinehowto.com
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I just noticed that yesterday - out of the blue - I dredged up a 3-1/2 year old thread to mention that I was now enjoying a nicely improved version of one of my Mac's included applications..... not knowing that only a few hours later Steve Jobs's passing would be announced. Weird coincidence.

From what I know he was not a "nautical person," but he certainly was a passionate, individualistic innovator.