Boat names

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
Shark
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Scoot
Boat Type: Shark 24

Boat Names

Post by Shark »

Mishnish,

Photos please.

It is an unofficial requirement of this forum that all new boats acquired by members must be photographed and said photos be posted to the forum.

Well it's not really a requirement but we do like to see pictures.
Lyman
Shark 24
http://www.shark24.ca
Allen
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by Allen »

Speaking of the Redneck Riviera Yacht Club...

Last edited by Allen on Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position

s/v Groovy
Master Varnisher

Post by s/v Groovy »

this picture says it all... at least it is not a sailboat....

Gregg
Pearson Renegade #145
jollyboat
Boat Name: Jollyboat
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

On Boat Names

Post by jollyboat »

I enjoy naming a boat but as has been mentioned - I too try my best to stay clear of the "weekend warrior" boat names - thats not too difficult for me <grins>. I named 466, JOLLYBOAT due to the double meaning to name. A jollyboat by todays standards is considered to be any small craft, usually among working vessels - such as tenders or small work/rowing boats that may be employed as dock boats in a traditional yard or town docks. In the 'days of sail' many sailing ships kept with them small jollyboats that were used for difficult tasks such as watering the boat or hull work or cleaning the waterline. When the JackTars aboard the jollyboat were working they were encouraged to keep up a cheery mood while they toiled with whatever horrible job was being done. This was often the case as the saying, "The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves" was a very true existence on many sailing ships. All of this seemed to ring clear to me I as can be somewhat a tyrant aboard my boats and demand much from my crew. I see no problem in the practice of flogging, keelhauling or if need be walking the plank. So as you can see JOLLYBOAT is not some cake and frills utopian idealism, it is a name that salutes 'No Quarter' and 1/2 rations, if need be.
Now back to work you scroungy lubbers - bear a hand now! Mr. Gordon! Two points of East and have Livingston bring me some coffee!
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466
Sepi,Triton #346 (1st, Triton)

No Quarter
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

s/v Groovy wrote:this picture says it all... at least it is not a sailboat....

Okay, just to put this in perspective, I have to drive along behind these vanity plate people saying all kinds of stupid-sounding things out loud before it dawns on me what the "thing" of the plates is.

I don't "get" this name. It must be something totally obvious. Probably a sexual/nautical pun just to add to my embarrassment.
MikeD
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Post by MikeD »

Hehe.

Hmmmm.

Rural: One might call a mother dog a "B-yacht'ch"?
Or
Urban: if you get out of line, you just might get "B'Yacht'ch"-slapped?
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
Tim Mertinooke

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

It's a particular way to pronounce a "female dog" lets say. I actually thought the name was pretty clever, but who would pay all that money for a boat and name it that.

Here is a cool text to speech generator that can be used to decipher future boat names for those that need it :)

http://www.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php
Fuji 32 Ketch "Excalibur"
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Okay, I did think of that possibility, but discounted it since the vowel sound of "yacht" is so totally different to the other. To me it's like a clever rhyme that's absolutely fabulous but doesn't..... rhyme in the least. Not that it's anyone here's fault, of course.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando

Post by Tim »

That name puts the "ass" in class.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
jollyboat

Post by jollyboat »

I am not sure but I think that barge belongs to Snoop Dog
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466

No Quarter
Triton 53
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Alli-Ann
Boat Type: Triton

Post by Triton 53 »

I have almost decided to name #53 "Alli-Ann". The name comes from my two daughters names, Rae-Ann and Allison. The only problem is that my youngest (Allison) said that she thinks sailing a boat named after herself may seem a bit pretentious even though it is not her boat.

I do not have any problem with a re-name as it appears that the boat has had at least 2 if not 3 other names. I found what looks likes two other names at the top of the mast.

Pete
Tim Mertinooke

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

A guy at my club had a Mariner Pilothouse and named his boat Karasu after his two daughters Karen and Susan. I like the idea myself.
Last edited by Tim Mertinooke on Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
s/v Groovy
Master Varnisher

Post by s/v Groovy »

If you have not seen this before....

John Vigor's De/Re Naming ceremony:

http://www.48north.com/mr_offline/denaming.htm
Gregg
Pearson Renegade #145
jollyboat

Post by jollyboat »

Gregg, Thank you for sharing the de/re naming information as I found fantastic mirth in it all and would seriously consider the same in the future if I find myself in a position to do so.

Cheers
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466

No Quarter
Tim Mertinooke

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

I hereby name thee Nautilus

I actually think this boat looks better with the freeboard problem solved...
suntreader
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by suntreader »

The only condition in which it is okay to rename a boat is if a substantial restoration changes the character of the boat to such a degree that it could be thought of as a different boat. If changing the name is in the cards then the first thing to do is eliminate all references to the old name on the boat, upon launching the new name is given with the right ceremony and the old name is never mentioned again.

I have a Flying Scot day sailor, former "Sea Hag," and now "Anhinga." Repainting the decks, topsides, and some recoring was sufficient to allow the name change.

My old Hunter 27 came to us as Alfie and despite all our work she was fundamentally the same boat so the name didn't get changed.

As far as choosing names goes; please, the world doesn't need another "Wet Dream" or "Liquid Asset." I use the same criteria I have for picking a dogs name, how is it going to feel standing in the middle of the street at midnight shouting this into the darkness (or into the VHF.)

When we found our Islander 32 she was called "Wild Thing," during the restoration in the yard we're just calling her "Dave's Folly" and upon launching she will be "Sun Treader" because my dad said if he ever had a sailboat that is what he would name it.

In choosing names, and this is just my opinion, there isn't any need to reference the boat, "Great Ketch" for a ketch, or "The Blue Lady" mentioned earlier. Boats are sufficiently nautical on their own (by virtue of being boats) they don't need conspicuously yare titles. With self-referential and natty names out there is still room for all kinds of deities (though I'd make sure they were on good terms with Neptune), ladies names, characters, literary references, etc. Doesn't have to be too creative either. One of the best boat names I've seen is on my old coach's Ohio sharpie, in hardware store stick on letters: "Buckeye."

Dave

Anyone who has worked in construction will appreciate this:

Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando

Post by Tim »

Tim Mertinooke wrote: Image
I like the guy at the stern, importantly holding that 12" diameter wheel as if he were steering the USS Nimitz.
Tim Mertinooke wrote:I actually think this boat looks better with the freeboard problem solved...
I think another 24" down would improve things significantly.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
JSmith
Almost a Finish Carpenter

Post by JSmith »

We've gotten quite a bit of flack about naming our Alden Challenger MUSKRAT- why that for such a nice looking boat.

She's actually named after a cup defender!!!! sort of- By way of the book "Muskrat-a Surprise bid for the America's Cup" by Douglas Hanks. We have 4-6 copies of this and it is great reading. Esp if you are from the Eastern shore of the Ches. We brought her from Freeport to Boothbay in a lousy Mom's day easterly in '06 and had (drank) a 6 pack of long neck Buds before we departed. You need to read the book to know why. It's still on amazon for 4-6 bucks ... we also have many copies. But I think it's been said here many times- each name is special to each boat/family/owner. To that end we have owned upwards of 8-10 different boats over the years and never named them other than the "whaler", "Parker" , "j" , Carolina, or what ever their make was. Muskrat was the firt boat the family ever named- then the inflatable she came with, now named "Turkle"---again you have to read the book.