Good Old Boat and Ted Brewer

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Good Old Boat and Ted Brewer

Post by Figment »

I'm developing the opinion that Ted Brewer is the nautical-literary equivalent to someone who talks and talks and talks just to hear the sound of his own voice. (yeah, takes one to know one)

Last night I read both of his articles in the current Good Old Boat. I put the magazine down wondering why I'd bothered.

The first is an opinion paper railing against the (past 20 years) design trend that packs lots of tiny berths into boats that can't support them, sacrificing the basics like stowage and a decent head, etc... It's the "Sleeps Six!" marketing phenomenon that's created the beamy high-topsides clorox bottles we see at the boatshows. (cite "Dawson 26")

He starts off with the baseline of the classic basic 25-30 footer (mentions the Triton) vberth-head-settee layout, and talks about how designers developed upon this by packing in quarterberths and nav stations and other brickabrack to the detriment of the liveability of the vessel. He goes on and on for two pages about how you need this, don't need that, and finally settles on a layout that meets with his approval ON A 38-FOOT WATERLINE LENGTH.
I'm sorry, but how is that a design solution to the problem of a liveable 25-30 footer???

Second article: a review of the Victoria 18. I respect the work that the owner put into the boat, and I beg the pardon of the V18 fans out there, but that is one of the most ungainly daysailors I've seen in a while. Just awful. But that's my subjective opinion. Here's fact:
Following the format of the magazine, design reviews are followed by an empirical comparison against similar vessels, along with discussion of various attributes of sail power, ballast, hullform, etc.
The V18 was compared with the Typhoon (twice as heavy) and the Compac 18 and a 17footer that I can't remember, both of which are centerboard cruisers, not daysailors. The displacement of the V18 was guessed, and the waterline length was scaled from a drawing.
Empirical data? Not in my world. Why even bother?

Or maybe I was just tired and cranky from a long day on the water.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Mike,

You've simply got to start having an opinion on things! ;<) Lord knows I don't have any opinions, either...people always tell me to just make up my mind and say what I mean! haha

I have to agree with your assessment. I have always found Ted Brewer's articles in Good Old Boat to be long, dry, and unhelpful--I stress that this is only my personal opinion, since I don't have an interest in theory, statistics, and dry data; I like practical information. That said, I have nothing against its being presented in a magazine. Frankly, few of his designs do much for me, either; to each their own.

Although I agree with his basic premise--that boat designs pack too many berths in at the expense of other nicities--I wonder why, instead of basically taking 8 existing designs (which, sadly and unhelpfully, he doesn't even identify by name--why not?) and discussing their shortcomings and advantages, he didn't show examples, based on his own experience, of how one particular size boat plan--28 foot, 30 foot, 35 foot, whatever--could be reconfigured to suit different needs. That sort of article, in a magazine ostensibly directed at do-it-yourself type of small boat owners, could have been much more interesting and informative.

I know it's sacrilege to say so, but I'm disenchanted with GOB lately. I began as a big fan some years ago, but it seems the focus of the mag has somehow shifted--maybe it's trying too much to incorporate too many boats into the "good old boat" moniker; I don't know. I do know that, at least to my way of thinking, they have a broader definition than I would have chosen. Perhaps my own definition would be too limiting to continue a bi-monthly magazine.

What is very clear, however, it that the magazine represents the philosophy and beliefs of its owners/editors/publishers (Karen and Jerry), and that's all well and good--they have that right and ability. If I formed my own magazine, its content would certainly reflect my own beliefs and interests as well. But I find different aspects of boating and boat work interesting than they seem to; I crave specific, and detailed, project information, which is more how GOB started out. Now, there are more "fluff" pieces, more articles of questionable value, and fewer interesting projects. As a result, with two issues to go in my current subscription, I find myself wondering if I'll resubscribe.

That pretty much means I'll be left with Wooden Boat, and its sister (and free) publication Professional Boatbuilder in my magazine arsenal. I'm dumping Cruising World, I think, and have already given up on all other glossy mags.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

wait....... Professional Boatbuilder is FREE???

well hot damn! I've been getting all of mine in 6month secondhand chunks from a friend. That friend recently moved to seattle, leaving me with no source. happy day!

A PB I read recently (no telling when it was published) did a writeup of a dutch Feadship yard's all-brush painting process. Now THAT'S useful information!!! PB is also not afraid to let an article run 10 or 15 pages. Ya gotta respect a magazine that gives its readers credit for a decent attention span.

I think you hit the nail on the head Tim, The narrow scope of our definition of "Good Old Boat" would be hard pressed to find enough material to publish more than twice a year. How often can one read about an A4-to-diesel conversion? Still, I pay my subscription happily, though this is partially because I feel good supporting a publication that swims against the tide of the big-money boating world. I'd like GOB and Duckworks to put their heads together and start a joint venture.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Yup. Professional Boatbuilder is a trade magazine that is free to marine professionals. Therefore, if you're not one, you'll need to fudge the questionaire that is part of the subscription form.

Professional Boatbuilder Magazine

For those who are not familiar with Professional Boatbuilder, it's a worthwhile publication that, as is obvious once you see a copy, is published by the same folks as Wooden Boat. The articles run the gamut from commonplace information to highly technical stuff that may not be of interest. But it's a nice magazine and well-regarded. And it's full of advertisements that, contrary to the annoyances found in many magazines, will actually point you to worthwhile vendors and interesting products related to the boatbuilding business.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Curmudgeon
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Ted Brewer...

Post by Curmudgeon »

After deciding on the style of boat I wanted, I contacted Ted Brewer. His Jason 35 design is a great-looking double-ender, imho. Ted reworked the drawings to allow for aluminum construction, and I wound up with plans for a 36-foot cutter that captured the lines of the original Jason, yet incorporated all the changes I wanted. Ted has a great deal of practical knowledge and experience. I can't comment on the articles you mention, but my dealings with Ted were nothing but positive.

The Curmudgeon