New recipes and provisioning page

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
James384
Deck Grunge Scrubber

New recipes and provisioning page

Post by James384 »

I'm putting together a recipes and provisioning page focusing on cruising on a tiny budget and without refrigeration. You can check it out at:

http://www.yachtatom.com/Recipes.htm

Cheers!
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

James,

Some great tips and ideas on your site! Your boat cooking sounds alot like my backpacking menus. I guess the goals are the same, really. No refrigeration, high-density, tasty eating.

A few other things that I have found as good when backpacking are:

dehydrated refried or black beans available from the local "Whole Foods Store" These are great because they last practically forever, and are super light for backpacking--obviously less of a concen on a boat.

7-grain cereal. Some local company makes this great 7-grain cereal for way too much money, but I've simulated it myself. Similar to your bOatmeal, but with a bit more variety. Basically just mix up steel cut oats, course flint corn meal, wheat germ, quinoa, and millet (sorry, I can't remember the other two grains!) I found that for backpacking I had best results by soaking overnight, or else cooking lightly in the morning, or else it was a little too tough, but mmmmmm tasty. I like mine with dried fruit, a bit of milk and a dash of honey. Really hearty, with a great chewy mouthfeel.

A couple of nice hot drinks for early morning or late evening when cruising spring or fall up here in the wooly north: I generally mix up a good portion of these powdered mixes, then premeasure individual packets when backpacking, but for cruising, just scoop out what you need.

Spiced Milk:
2 cups dry milk
1 TBS powdered cinnimon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 cup brown sugar
(adjust spices to your own tastes)
Mix about 1/4 cup powder per cup of hot water.

South of the Border Hot Mocha
1 1/2 cups instant cocoa mix
1 1/2 cups dry milk
1/2 cup instant coffee
1 tsp cinnamon
1 TBS powdered dry orange peel--usually available at the Natural Foods Stores. Or grate a dash of fresh zest into the cup before serving.
Mix about 1/3 cup powder per cup of hot water.

Variation: To make this more like a cup of mol? mix a tsp of peanut butter and a dash of ground ancho powder into the cup along with the powder. Ka-zing! Mmm-mm good.

For lots more good ideas on this subject, check out "The Well-Fed Backpacker" by June Fleming. Lots more ideas along the lines of what James and Mei are talking about. Its amazing how good food can be even without the refrigerated niceties we are so used to. I've eaten almost everything in the June Fleming book at one time or another and am constantly amazed by how tasty my backcountry fare is!
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Nathan,

I think we might need that backcountry book of yours for our journey north with Kaynee...
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Tim wrote:I think we might need that backcountry book of yours for our journey north with Kaynee...
Already thought of it! I pulled it off the shelf, and it is awaiting perusal over Mt. Gays. ;-P
Tim

Post by Tim »

Indeed...
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Of course, if you'd rather, we could pull out that bottle of "Fire in the Hole Erotic Rum" instead.... hehe
kaynee30

Kaynee's July's munu...

Post by kaynee30 »

day 1-spoiled beef with maggots. Grog

day 2-pickled cabbage and spoiled beef. Grog

day 3-Grog...double ration.

day 4-see day 1

day 5-Thomas's english muffin,spoiled beef, grog.

day 6-muffin

day 7-grog

(wise-asses)
Dave, 397

Rations

Post by Dave, 397 »

Sounds almost as good as field rations!
Alternately, you could make 'salt junk' out of the spoiled beef and near-rancid bacon, and it would be oh-so(dium)-good! Just pickle it in a bucket of rock salt instead. Really does beat the MRE's...I always wondered what would happen if one was just getting ready to "enjoy" the packet of tuna casserole when it got to be time to suddenly get busy...putting the packet hurriedly in the thigh cargo pocket of one's BDU trousers...dropping and "hitting it" hard...the enemy would be able to SMELL you and vector in the artillery on your dinner from 5 klicks UPwind!

I do not trust you fellows' choice in rums at all, BTW. Forget the name, just look at the pic on the label...it's a map, alright! Reminds me too much of the barrel joke!

Dave
Tim

Post by Tim »

At least we know that the english muffins won't ever spoil!

The Amazing English Muffin
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Of course, that begs the question.... what do they put in those Thomas English Muffins to keep 'em so fresh.... and do you really want that inside of you!