Subscriptions and updates: Opinions requested

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Subscriptions and updates: Opinions requested

Post by dasein668 »

Ok so I'm looking for feedback/opinions on these questions:

Do you, as a webmaster, assume that people might use the "subscription" feature in their web browser to alert them to when sites are updated? Do you, as a web visitor, use this feature?

Ok, for you webmasters, here is the real question: Do you think it makes sense to design your site so that the home page gets updated (i.e. physically uploaded to the webserver) every time there is a site update?

I ask because with my new design, I have realized that my home page doesn't get reposted to the server every time I update. If you go to www.dasein668.com, you can see that there is content on the right hand side of the page which changes with every update. However if you look at the bottom of the page, left hand side, you will see that the home page was last updated on 4/2/03, even though the content on the right hand side was updated last night (4/7/03).

The reason is that both the right hand content, and the page updated content are served dynamically via Server-side Includes. The last updated data is based on the last date that the home page was uploaded to the server, while the "what's new" content is actually a separate file that is served dynamically when the browser calls the page, sort of like "cut and paste." I did this to make it possible to share that data across every page that was called, without having to re-upload every page in the site every time I made an update.

Wow that was wordy... sorry! Here's my real question: Do you think I may be in a situation where many readers may not be checking back to the site because they aren't being alerted to new content by their browser?
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Took me a few reads to really understand the question. But what I understand is that, on your site, the sidebar (righthand) content is its own file, located elsewhere on the server, that automatically loads to each page as needed--independently of the page content itself. Is that correct? Your code for each individual page calls for the righthand bar, and other features, to be recalled from other parts of the server and placed in that specific part of the main page, so it's seamless to the user. But it means that you only have to update one thing in order for every page on the site to show the newest information. Slick stuff.

If so, then you are right in that your home page is not going to show that as an update. I assume the date on the bottom of the home page is automatically changed whenever that particuilar page is uploaded to the server? That is, you don't make the change to the date yourself--but if you changed anything on the home page, and then published the site, the date would automatically update to show that?

That's a problem, I think. Since you're not likely to change the content of the home page often, other than your separate righthand bar, you need something obvious to reflect to your readers when the site (any portion of the site) was last updated. Maybe you should put a "Last Updated" automatic date tag in your file for the righthand bar?

Either that or (gasp!) you might have to change dates manually on your home page everytime you update a part of the site.

Other than the visual date, there's no way for a user to know whether anything's been updated. Subscriptions? Frankly, I didn't know there was such an option in my browser. So I would gather that most users would NOT use this feature--and you certainly cannot assume that anyone is, as far as receiving your web content. And my own browser cache is set to search for new versions of any page every time it is loaded, so there are no concerns there.

Check out Nathan's newly redesigned site, everyone. It's all the slicker when you understand the depth of the code required to make it work. Pretty sophisticated stuff (he's a pro, after all).

Of course, don't neglect MY websites in favor of Nathan's...although he has, through his own efforts, certainly inspired me to improve my own skills and incorporate smoother design and code elements. My recent redesign of triton381.com was inspired by Nathan's new look (though I should say that my new design went live first, though I started after him!)

A little friendly competition is always good for everyone.

Tim
Mark W, Elite 32

Question for Nathan regarding the image on his sidebar

Post by Mark W, Elite 32 »

Nathan

How do you add the "bottom fade" to the image on your sidebar image (see below)

( http://www.dasein668.com/art/elements/homeSidebar.jpg )

I really like the look of this and would like to plagarize it (if thats OK with you) in this winters wilme.net redesign. I have a script that randomly assigns an image and I want to use this in a side panel like yours but with a similar fade effect on my jpg's.

The other question I have is that you have used server side scripting, as opposed to my frames based approach (http://www.wilme.net) - can you direct me to any good sites that will help me eliminate my frames for those Non IE users I have ?

Thx

Mark

The say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Hi Mark,

It's kind of hard to explain how I did that, unless you are familiar with Photoshop. Basically what I did was to create a 2 layer photoshop file. On the bottom layer I just filled the whole thing with the same color as I used for the background of the web side bar (3366cc hexidecimal value--websafe) Then I applied a layer mask with a gradient to the second layer (the top layer containing the actual picture) This allows the bottom layer to bleed through the gradient. Then I just save a copy of that file for web use as a single layer jpg.

There are other ways to do this of course, but this way allows me to use the same photoshop file to make multiple jpgs that all have an identical gradient-bleed.

As far as websites regarding scripting goes... On my site I have listed a several decent web resource links. I don't necessarily know if any of them would answer the questions you have regarding SSI or not, but that would be a good place to start, I think. Or if you have a more specific question, I can try to answer it here or via private email.

Good luck!
David

Subscriptions

Post by David »

I'm assuming you mean using offline content synchronization?

I have to agree with Tim in that most people don't use or understand this feature. However, is there a server side routine that can be run involving offline updates? I thought it was all handled on the client side, set up by the user when the URL is saved as a favorite...