I wonder how Jason (Triton #218) is doing?

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

I wonder how Jason (Triton #218) is doing?

Post by Rachel »

I wonder how Jason (Triton #218) is faring during Katrina since he's in/near New Orleans. I was thinking about him last night and hoping he and his Triton would come through okay.

It sure personalizes the storm when you know there's a fellow boater who's possibly in harm's way.

--- R.
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

Yeah Rachel- me too. We've heard some things from just west and southwest of NOLA but nothing from THERE. Also have a friend in Gulfport (Vick Vickery from the TSBB) who I'm kinda concerned about, although he did have his boat out of the water.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

CJ,

I was wondering about Vick too because he said he was going to "ride it out" at home. I guess it's a bit much to expect them to check in so soon, but I will be glad when they do.

You sure can make some good friends on the Internet :-)

--- Rachel
heartofgold
Skilled Systems Installer

On unwanted Russian visitors...

Post by heartofgold »

I actually went to work this morning securing and resecuring boats. We had wind gusts just over hurricane strength with sustained winds in the high tropical storm range. And keep in mind, we are 180 miles East of the landfall! For some pictures check out this link at my site:
http://heartofgoldsails.com/Katrina.htm

We lost power right about noon, about 10 minutes after I posted my update. As of this writing, I am still without power at home (sailing buddy was good enough to offer his working internet connection for me to send the message). Damage locally is minor, but the reports from Mississippi and Louisiana are scary (much what I expect the rest of the world saw about Ivan here last year).
Doug
http://heartofgoldsails.com
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea."
Karen Blixen
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

Rachel- I saw that Pascagoula got 118 mph gusts earlier- Riley had boarded up, shoved SR Cat into the cat house, and tied down the Vic 18, then evac'ed eastwards. Hope THEY did ok too

Doug- glad you fared alright. A friend of mine is in Pirates Cove. He had to drag his Seafarer 30 back out of the pine trees after Ivan and had JUST finished the rebuilding when the first one went through this year. We were saddened at the destruction around Roberts Bayou and the massive changes around the inlet - what our friends over there call Sand Island and Mosquito Cove ( Ft McCrae anchorage).
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Doug,

Thanks for letting us know how you're doing.

I was just showing your photos to the friends I'm staying with - one of them is from Pensacola and still has family there - and they were wondering where the boatyard is (they know Pensacola well, but aren't boaters).

Thanks,

--- Rachel
heartofgold

Post by heartofgold »

Those pics are from Pensacola Shipyard and Marine Complex, which is where I both work and keep Heart of Gold. It is located on Bayou Chico, just off of Navy Boulevard, just west of downtown.

I did not provide any descriptions of the pictures here, so let me offer a few brief descriptions now. You may have noticed there are 5 distant shots of vessels which have dragged anchor--the yellow J120 is the most obvious. Actually hidden behind that is a Morgan 51 ketch, Betty Boop. Troy and Betty are liveaboards and good friends of mine. They set 5 anchors, but 3 different boats (including the J) dragged and fouled their ground tackle. By about an hour after these pictures was taken, both of these vessels around the Morgan had dragged off of her, but had "cut" 4 out of her anchor lines. I left the shipyard around 11am and have not yet heard what became of my friend's boat.

The pictures of the beige Tayana 37 Sea Mist, are another friend's boat, which I helped restore following Ivan. The Tartan 3000 is a boat I have been considering buying. The last 2 pics are of my (wife's) uncle's 57' Hatteras.

I have not heard from Jason. I suspect he evacuated, but whether he did or not, he likely does not have power and/or internet access. I sure hope he is ok, and #218 as well. Please tell the fellow Pensacolians I said "Hello."
Doug
Karen Blixen
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

PSMC??? You're kidding!!! Laura and I were there in May- stayed several days on Tehani.

We've been to PSMC the last three years- twice for the BEER Cruise put on by the trailersailors and once when we TRIED to get there but were two days late- (this year)
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Great pictures, Doug. One can only imagine what it's like during the full fury of a hurricane. I hope I never find out.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

No, Tim you do not want to weather the full fury of a hurricane. Rachel, I thank you deeply for your concern.

This is a nightmare. The toll of this on me is considerable, to those still in that dead city it is literally unimaginable. The cost of this storm is just beginning to be felt.

I am, obviously, safe. I have made it to Knoxville, Tn. late Friday after a tough few days. This is the first time I've had access to a computer (at a hotel lobby now). I know this is a boating forum, however weather has always applied to people of the sea and so I hope you'll indulge me as I try to give you an insight into what's occurred.

A common question on the news to people who stayed is "Why didn't you evacuate? Didn't you know what would happen?" No one had any concept what would happen. Yes, many have read the models, but New Orleans has weathered many storms and the carefree attitude that has crafted the culture lead many to believe they could weather this one too. That, as is painfully clear, isn't the case now. There is only pain and regret there now.

My preparations for the storm involved clearing loose items from around my house and securing my Triton. The boat involved rebedding all of the portlights, removing the main and tying the boat up as well as I could. That took all day and into the night. The portlights were a pain. To tie up in a slip for a hurricane, you need to allow for storm surge - the massive influx of water that is pressed ahead of the storm. That's accomplished by leading your mooring lines to distant pilings and careful placement of the springs. The best I could do was to allow for 8 - 10 ft. Plenty, I thought.

In fact, I didn't really think we'd get that. I anticipated the storm to jog to the east (as it did a little bit) and to weaken. I anticipated some flooding, but we're used to that. The boat I was concerned about, but I knew I'd done all I could.

I, like everyone else, was unprepared for the ferocity of this hurricane. Everything is gone. I mean everything; I left with a bag of clothes good for two days. The totality of this is stunning. The boat is certainly destroyed. My marina is the one with Southern Yacht Club burning. My boat is at the south end where many, many boats are piled. My home is flooded to the roof, as is my office. Insurance? None to speak of. I couldn't get a full policy written because of the restoration, and I was currently renting as I looked for a good mulit-family to purchase. I worked independently for a mortgage brokerage. The market I worked for years to build a business in is destroyed, the contacts scattered. There will be no checks coming. The community of family and friends is scattered, I've seen few. Some who stayed I haven't heard from.

Imagine this: Packing a weekend bag and walking to your car. Sit there and STOP. Everything in the car, you keep. Everything else is gone. Your home, your boat - you have the money in your pocket (savings you'll get later). Your home is obliterated. There is no immediate prospect for income. You cannot stay where you are. Drive at least 100 miles and pray for gas and a hotel. Once there, you will not be able to go near home for months. What do you do now?

But that's not the worst. You'll eventually do fine if you've got the will. The worst is that your entire community of friends is gone. There will be no more BBQ's or nights out in your favorite places. You aren't going to go for evening sails in home waters with those you normally relax with.

Then, you watch as your home becomes more like Mogadishu than AN AMERICAN CITY!! People you know are in those besieged hospitals and fighting on that police force.

It goes on and I apologize for this rambling account. My thoughts aren't organized as of yet. I do know this - there are many thousands dead. Many are dying right now. I know I am so fortunate to be out and intact. I can feel the agony in that city. It is unbearably hot, there is no relief, the dead lie everywhere, unattended. The survivors are not assured of rescue. There people baking in attics surrounded by lost friends and family RIGHT NOW, as you read this.

What you see on TV is not the people of New Orleans. These are not people in a third world apocalypse. These are people exactly like everyone else. Most had good jobs, were highly educated, and loved life and society. Which is why the complete societal breakdown as New Orleans slips deeper into an apocalyptic hell on earth is so utterly horrifying.

Please lend your support. There are so many people who are ruined. They will not rise without assistance. The scale of this is unprecedented and is, to those not there, unknown. In the weeks ahead the scope of this nightmare may be realized. For now, New Orleans needs the help of agencies like the Red Cross. Later, families will need the basics, those extra plates we all have, furniture, food and clothing. Please consider giving to those in dire need.

As for me, I'm heading to the East Coast. I have an aunt and uncle with a home in Baltimore and will likely look for a good job in that area. If not that, they have offered us a condo in Portland (Maine) - though I think the chances for income are better in the Baltimore area. I will go back home as soon as I am able to see what pieces remain. People are not going to allowed back into the city for a several months, minimum. After that, it will be at least a year before New Orleans might be viable. I will be returning.

It will be at least a couple of days before I'll be able to log back onto this Forum. I'll also need a new Plastic Classic once I get a few bucks in the bank. Maybe Rachel can point me in the direction of a few....
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

#218 wrote:It goes on and I apologize for this rambling account.
There is no need to apologize. Everyone here has been concerned for you in particular, and the people of coastal Louisanna and Mississippi in general. We are all glad to hear that you made it through. And remember that you still have a community of friends here?its a small thing, but something at least.

If you end up here in Portland, be sure to let me know what I can do to help with the transition.
jhenson
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by jhenson »

Jason,

I am so sorry to hear of your enormous loss. Still, I was glad to hear of your general health.

Can I offer you a modest donation to help with your cash situation? I also live 90 minutes from Baltimore.

Joe
windrose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by windrose »

Jason, we are glad to hear from you. Let us know what you need and maybe we can be rounding it up while you make your way up to Baltimore.

The housing market is very active along the Baltimore/Washington corridor. I know a couple of mortgage brokers and will call them first thing Monday to see if they may have some work for you. There is plenty of work here so I hope this offers some glimmer of hope. Not all your friends are lost. Though we only know you thru this little corner of the net, know that you have folks that care for you and support you and WILL help you put your life back together.

Are you traveling alone? What do you need? How can I help you right now, today.

Check your pm for my home and work phone numbers, call me when you feel like it and I will be here to help you.

Stay strong!

Ang
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Jason,

I'm so glad you're alive to write to us, but I'm so sorry about all you're going through. I already plan to donate money, but I would welcome the chance to help someone I know directly, as I'm sure others here would too, so please, please let us know what you need.

I'm glad you felt comfortable telling us what you're going through; I didn't think you were rambling at all, and even if you were, it was fine. You're right that it's so hard to conceive of what's happening. Two houses burning down you can fathom, but this?

Thank you so much for checking in here. We're still your Plastic Classic comrades, after all.

Take care and keep in touch, please,

--- Rachel
Tim

Post by Tim »

Jason,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write about your experiences. It means a lot to those of us who were thinking of you down there.

I won't bother saying all the cliched phrases reserved for times like this. But know that I, and surely the others here, are wishing you the best, and a speedy recovery to something of a normal existence once more.

The devastation is beyond my comprehension. My heart is with you.
Jason K

Post by Jason K »

Thank you all so much for your concern and warm wishes. The most emotional part of this is the willingness of others to help. And I truly, truly appreciate it. I am in Baltimore with my Aunt and Uncle and am, for the time being, just trying to take it all in. It is still surreal. I also appreciate your offers to help. I have lost so much, but there are many, many more who have lost everything. I would encourage all of you to donate a little something to the Red Cross - they are doing a great job and will need everything they can get. I don't know where I'll end up for this year. Baltimore is wonderful, though this experience is too new to make any definite plans. Supposedly, my bank will be back online Tuesday and I'll feel better then when I can transfer some funds from savings. In that regard, I have enough to get things going. This will be a real test, and in some ways I'm looking forward to the next year as it will be a strengthening experience. If you PM'd me, thank you. I'll respond ASAP. For now, though, I'm beat and am looking forward to a good night's sleep.
J/30 Rambunctious
FloatingMoneyPit
Topside Painter

classic plastic help

Post by FloatingMoneyPit »

Jason,
Please let us know when you get settled someplace. God knows I have a library of boat books with your name on it that I won't need anymore when I (hopefully) head out cruising in the very near future. And between all the people on this forum, we probably have enough leftover odds & ends from our own projects to entirely refit whatever boat fate brings you to next.
I haven't seen many of the marina shots yet, but some of those boats seemed to survive okay and many seem salvageable, so there may be hope for 218.
Tony
Boat Name: S/V Bonnie Blue
Boat Type: Catalina 22

Post by Tony »

Jason,
I don't know where you were keeping 218, but I was looking at some of the satelite photos of New Orleans, and it looks like the inland yacht basin and canal escaped much of the harm. Take a look at

http://ngs.woc.noaa.gov/storms/katrina/24425580.jpg

Edited 9/7 00:16

I've put a shot here of just the yacht basin area that's sharpened and zoomed in so you can use it to look around. FYI this is a large pic, 1.5ish Megs so it'll take a while to load on dialup.

http://www.geocities.com/wilfite/NewOrleansSatPic.html

It only takes a few hits on this pic to exceed my website's data transfer limit, so if Tim was of a mind to, I wouldn't mind if he could host the pic (hint hint :-).

-Tony
Tim

Post by Tim »

Here's the picture from Tony's site. Click on the picture to see the full size (2119 pixel wide) version if you want detail.

Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I have a feeling, from his description, that Jason's boat was in the section closest to the water and on the south end, unfortunately. It sure hurts to look at that photo, doesn't it? Just makes me feel empty.

Amazingly, there is a woman on the Trailer Sailor board whose boat came through alright. Since it's a small boat, it was in the inner marina area of this photo.

That's the hard thing about boats - even though, technically, they are just "things," they sure come close to transcending that, and they seem (are?) more like part of the family.

Like Jason said though, the most amazing thing about a place like this is how great the people are. Boat people just seem to connect really well.

Okay, I'm rambling. I guess threads like this one do that to me.

Jason, thanks so much for checking in and letting us know how things are going for you. I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that we're all pulling for you.

--- Rachel
Jason K

Post by Jason K »

I have a feeling, from his description, that Jason's boat was in the section closest to the water and on the south end, unfortunately. It sure hurts to look at that photo, doesn't it? Just makes me feel empty.
Don't feel empty Rachel!!! You're right about the location BUT - I just linked to a site from another NOYC sailor, he has about 200 images from the harbor and the surrounding area. Here are a few from the Southwest Sea Wall (runs from the blue building, which is NOYC, to a row of boathouses):

That white wall in the background is the Southwest Seawall

This S2 was two boats towards the boat houses from me.

This Chaparral powerboat occupies the slip to the right of mine. I can see in the satelite photo that it has been turned 90 degrees and is now lying parallel to the main pier, tangled with a few boats.

This is an Islander 36 that is in the slip just to the left of mine. It is resting on the finger pier we share and on a small Hunter. Recognize the familiar shape in the lower right portion of the photo?

The coamings were off and with a carpenter who was going to rebuild them. The boat looks to be sitting nicely in the water. I don't think it has another boat resting on it and it doesn't look like it's holding much water. Given the position of the Islander. they almost had to have collided, but the stanchions were off and I can't see any damage from the photo, which is the area they'd be most likely to touch. With the boat on the pier as it is, there will be a hazard until its removed, but I doubt its boat threatening.

I may have problems finding some of the parts - the bow and stern pulpits are in the garage of a friends house in Arabi, LA - an area that will have to be completely razed. Hope they're still there! The coamings are probably gone (and the carpenter, a family friend, has left town for good).
The rest was on board. :)

Finally some good news - what a relief!!! I am incredibly fortunate, boats are just stacked in huge piles to the left and right of me. I, of course, can't see what damage the Triton suffered (I love to see a photo of the rigging), but I'm going to assume it's in fair shape. I had the deck stripped already.

This link has many, many more photos of the area:

http://homepage.mac.com/gibbonsb/katrina/

Thanks again for all of your concern. I hope to meet some of you in person someday.
J/30 Rambunctious
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

A much needed ray of hope!

Indestructable old plastic or not, a boat doesn't live 40 years without a certain amount of luck. I'm glad 218's luck is still running.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Jason,

Wow, now I feel really happy. In fact, I'm grinning even as I type this. I most certainly do recognize that familiar shape! Sure looks like #218, bobbing like a happy duck in the water :-)

That has got to have made your day! Sure wish I could somehow see just a wee bit further to the right though... Good thing the Triton has such a distinctive doghouse :-)

Even more amazing when you see what's happened to so many of the boats. If a person ever had second thoughts about riding it out aboard, well...

I'm just so excited for you about this! Yippeee!

--- Rachel
Tim

Post by Tim »

Nice to see her floating, Jason. Whatever else has happened, at least she's still there.
FloatingMoneyPit
Topside Painter

Post by FloatingMoneyPit »

heartofgold

Post by heartofgold »

My wife was concerned about my color, but after holding my breath for over a week, I have just started breathing again. It's good to see her afloat. Keep us apprised of her condition and your whereabouts.
Doug
Karen Blixen
Jason K

Post by Jason K »

I'm back! I just bought a brand new Toshiba laptop. A hard decision given that I'm unemployed :) , but I missed checking the forum regularly so I bit the bullet.

It's been quite a couple of weeks recently. I have many photos and I plan to post them on one of the online photo galleries. Does anyone know of a good one?

It looks like I'll be in the Baltimore area for at least the time being. In fact, if I find a good job I may be here for awhile. Ideally, I'd move back down to the New Orleans area (the Northshore of Lake Pontchartrain) but I am concerned that that economy will be suffering for awhile. We'll see.

I am going to be back on the water Saturday!!! I rented a little Sonar 23 and will be sporting it around Balitmore's Inner Harbor. At any rate, I'm pleased to be able to log back in here regularly. In fact, I spent so much work time doing this before the storm, I'm feeling productive already!
J/30 Rambunctious
Tony
Boat Name: S/V Bonnie Blue
Boat Type: Catalina 22

Post by Tony »

Welcome Back, Jason :-)

-Tony
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Yes, Welcome back, Jason!

Glad to year you'll be out sailing again. And by the way, a laptop is not a luxury, it's a necessity!

Great to see you back; don't forget to pontificate here regularly! ;-)

--- Rachel
Jason K

Post by Jason K »

Other Tritons in the same marina?
I couldn't open those links, but I assume they were photos of this boat. It is the only other Triton in the marina that I am aware of. I've never met the owner, but it was in pretty good shape. Looks like it lost most of its deck hardware, along with the rigging.

If you look at the photo above that Tim posted, it was docked at that Northern pier that is isolated and is accessed from the street at the upper right of the picture. The boat was docked at the very end of the pier, on the "T" and closest to the northern boathouses. (By the way, North is to the right of the photo). It is now at the south end of the same marina (just to the right of the park) by the row of boathouses extending from the bottom of the picture. It's about a 1/3 of the way down the row.

As a point of reference, 218 is between that same row of boathoses and that tinroofed building towards the middle top of the picture (NOYC).

J/30 Rambunctious
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Yeah, but for all that, she's STILL AFLOAT!!!! Friggin amazing.