The Boat Search Woes

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
Nick_ander
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: la resistance
Boat Type: siren 17

The Boat Search Woes

Post by Nick_ander »

I have come to the conclusion that hardest part of setting off on a life of budget cruising is finding a darn boat. I suppose it would be easier if I didn't live in Minnesota. Finding the right boat is tough enough, but trying to find the right boat at the right price is another thing entirely. I really don't like this part of the process.
markwesti
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Patricia A
Boat Type: Westsail 28

Re: The Boat Search Woes

Post by markwesti »

Hey Nick , are you still out there ? What type boat are you looking for ? What is your budget roughly ? What will your crew be like ? Where will be your home port ? Do you like beer ?
Mark .
svMira
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Mira
Boat Type: Pearson Wanderer 30

Post by svMira »

I understand. I thought of my search in terms of years not weeks. Got quite lucky on all three boats, two of which I picked up in Wisconsin and one in southern Ontario. So I had the same middle of the continent woes you've got. And, I had a boarder and currency issues to deal with on top of that.
I'm sure you're doing the same thing, but I just shortlisted my wants and started following up on the ones that met the most of my criteria. The Tanzer 22 purchase had the sketchiest start but turned out fabulous in the end. The wanderer was really neat, but involved a towing company, a trucking company, me turning a yard trailer into a 'cradle' using borrowed tools and a crane just to get it home. Not to mention following it through the boarder not using a broker, because I was standing right there. I took a second for the boarder guy to do the math and then it was all good.
Yes, it can be rough, but don't settle for something you don't really want. You'll regret that for a really long time, like till you sell it.
Marvin - s/v Mira - 1971 Pearson Wanderer #174
svmira.ca
Nick_ander
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: la resistance
Boat Type: siren 17

Post by Nick_ander »

Today the woes came to an end. I purchased an Allied Seawind 30 hull #79, thus committing to a life of blissful poverty. I paid a fair price for her. She has some soft spots on the deck, messy rainbow wiring, a strong desire for some varnish, an old Gray Marine Sea Scout 25 that purrs, and a need to be sailed. I never really considered a Ketch rig before seeing her. I think it will suit my style of sailing quite well. I look forward to filling this forum with questions. On a side note, she lives a few spots down from two of the most beautiful Pearson Vanguards. If I can get her into half the shape they are in I will have done very well. Thanks to atomvoyager, svmira, and all on this forum who's advice helped me get to this point.