When is Defender's big clearance weekend?

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
JonnyBoats
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

When is Defender's big clearance weekend?

Post by JonnyBoats »

Does anyone know when Defender in Wallingford, CT will be having their big annual clearance weekend? If memory serves me last year it was about March 1st.
John Tarbox
S/V Altair, a LeComte NorthEast 38
http://www.boatmaine.us
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

WATERford, CT. You'll have an unpleasant day driving around Wallingford looking for a boat store!

I don't think they've made an official announcement yet, but it's generally the last weekend in March or first weekend in April. I'm starting to wonder, though. You'd think they would have spread the word by now.
Mark.Wilme

Post by Mark.Wilme »

Stuck (magnetted) to my Fridge door

Defenders 11th Annual Warehouse OUTLET SALE
Everything on SALE!
42 Great Neck Road - Waterford - CT
800-628-8225 www.defender.com

March 29 - April 1, 2007

I have a long list including flares, rode, chain and possibly an anchor.
Mark.
S/V Calypso. 2001 Beneteau Oceanis 381
Not quite a plastic classic yet
Figment

Post by Figment »

so... let me see if I have this straight.
Nary a week goes by without something in the mail from West marine.
I seem to get a new catalog from Overton's 4 times a year.
Hamilton this or that every so often.
Jamestown sends catalogs and flyers to me by 4 different names at this address alone...

But I've somehow fallen from Defender's mailing list?!?!!!!!

It's a strange strange world.
Mark.Wilme

Post by Mark.Wilme »

What can I say? Maybe your invite and catalog migrated ? On no wait it can't this is a temperate zone.

EDIT :Actually I picked up the note at the Providence boat show, nothing arrived in the mail (yet). It might though because the swallow may fly south with the sun or the house martin or the plover may seek warmer climes in winter, yet these are not strangers to our land?.
Mark.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Figment wrote:Jamestown sends catalogs and flyers to me by 4 different names at this address alone...
Plus a catalog with every single order, whether you want it or not.

I could build a house out of the Jamestown catalogs I've received. What a waste--all the more so because I never even look at the catalogs when I order (all online).

Oh well.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Triton439
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by Triton439 »

EDIT :Actually I picked up the note at the Providence boat show, nothing arrived in the mail (yet). It might though because the swallow may fly south with the sun or the house martin or the plover may seek warmer climes in winter, yet these are not strangers to our land?.
[/quote]

Are you suggesting coconuts er, catalogs migrate?!
Matt
Albion - Triton #439
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I'm probably over-sensitive, but I've been getting annoyed by Jamestown's catalogs lately (as much as I like their operation). It's the combination of "over-catalogage" and the growing tendency for "suggestive" cover models that gets me. Not that I'm a prude, but I think it undermines their professionalism and is somewhat unnecessary. The boats are shapely enough on their own.

Triton439: Welcome to the forum!

Rachel
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Rachel wrote: It's the combination of "over-catalog-age" and the growing tendency for "suggestive" cover models that gets me.
Rachel
Hey! How come I've never gotten a Jamestown catalog with a suggestive cover model? Rats...I think I'm getting gypped. hehe
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Figment

Post by Figment »

I think she's referring to two catalogs ago, when the cover art was provided by Festool. It wasn't quite up to the standards of Snap-On or Miller (welders) marketing material, but it was good for a laugh.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Jamestown Distributors used to be in an old wooden structure on Narragansett Ave in the tiny so-called 'business' section of the town. Everyone who worked there knew where every bin was, and what all the fasteners were called. The front of the store was a no-frills showroom the size of a large bathroom with a counter. All of the merchandise, well almost all was in the back and you asked for what you wanted at the counter. Now they are located in Middletown, (though they would like you to believe in Newport) and their business is almost exclusively wholesale, phone or internet. It isn't the same place any more, though they still are a good source for stuff.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Mark.Wilme

Post by Mark.Wilme »

Triton439 wrote:Are you suggesting coconuts er, catalogs migrate?!
No just a little of the old Pythonesque sillyness, was one of those days at work that needed evening balance.
Mark.
Figment

Post by Figment »

JD moved to Middletown? I thought they moved out of the Wood Street place and into more spacious accommodations off Gooding Ave.
Mark.Wilme

Post by Mark.Wilme »

I thought that they moved to Bristol, midway between 114 and 136 there.

EDIT - Gooding Ave is Bristol, RI : it runs between 114 and 136. Used to go that way to Colt State park when we were trailering a Venture 22.
Mark.
Figment

Post by Figment »

Is that launch site at Colt as much of a nightmare as I've imagined it to be? It always seemed like a very exposed spot. There could be no such thing as "delicately" mating boat to trailer in a stiff westerly.

Ramble on.
JetStream
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Sojourn
Boat Type: Pearson 27

Post by JetStream »

Yes, Jamestown Distributors was a great place on Narragansett Ave. in Jamestown. It used to be Jamestown Hardware and Lumber Co. I knew Bill Murdock, the owner and was in there a lot. When I was a kid, I used to run over from my Uncle's house (300 feet away) to get 3 screws for him to finish a Rooster Class Sailboat that had to be finished, painted and sailing in the NBYA race the next day. (Just a typical scenario back then.) Sometime in the 70's (I think), they built a big concrete block building behind the store to warehouse all the fasteners and Bill closed the lumber business first, and then closed the general hardware business. They then opened a store in Newport near the Navy Gate plus the store on Wood Street and closed the Jamestown store. They also had a store in South Carolina for a while because Bill had a home there. Eventually they closed the Newport store and only had the one on Wood Street. I don't remember when they closed the SC operation. Then they closed the Wood St. and moved the whole shebang to a nice building at the present address on Peckham Drive in Bristol. And by the way, I believe the way the whole thing started was that Bill bought a couple of barrels of stainless fasteners at an auction and started selling them to local boatyards.
Bruce
Mark.Wilme

Post by Mark.Wilme »

Figment wrote:Is that launch site at Colt as much of a nightmare as I've imagined it to be? It always seemed like a very exposed spot. There could be no such thing as "delicately" mating boat to trailer in a stiff westerly.
Yes - absolutely, nice actual ramp and free parking but awful dock to tie up to. I can tell you a story or two about it.
Mark.
Figment

Post by Figment »

Tim wrote:
Figment wrote:Jamestown sends catalogs and flyers to me by 4 different names at this address alone...
Plus a catalog with every single order, whether you want it or not.

I could build a house out of the Jamestown catalogs I've received. What a waste--all the more so because I never even look at the catalogs when I order (all online).

Oh well.
JD's new BIG BOOK calendar arrived with my latest order. That house just became a palace.