Can someone explain...

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Can someone explain...

Post by dasein668 »

Ok, so I have one of these things because I can't stand having to deal with the estimated 750 CDs in my music library:

So why on earth did I just move an estimated 1600 lbs of books out of storage in our attic in preparation to haul them to the new house?

I mean, am I ever going to read this again???

Those boxes of books pictured only account for the 2/3 or our books that were in storage... I packed probably 10 additional paper-carton boxes of books off the shelves. What gives???
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

I'd like to see you pack them into that Jetta.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

1st of all, at risk of being redundant, that's one shag-a-riffic iPod cover!

A philosophy major married to a lawyer (do I have that right?). Yeah, that'll be one monumental pile of books.
Seriously, though, I'll tell you exactly "what gives": storage space. When people have the space, they collect the crap. Only when space is truly at a premium does the dumpster arrive.

Can't tell you how many times I've moved people who have an attic or basement full of book cartons that are still sealed from the previous move ten years ago. On an equal number of occasions, the truck is half empty and the new house is overflowing and it becomes a triage exercise.
You're not alone.
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Yeah, a lawyer, political philosophy undergrad, with a masters in educational leadership. She's way smarter than me. And yes, I was a philosophy major.

We do love our books though. One of the wonderful things about the new house is plenty of space for a library. So they'll at least get out of the boxes... I still don't know how many will get read, but I mean how can a guy get rid of books that are well-loved like The Infinite Conversation by Maurice Blanchot annotated with reader comments like:
A much younger dasein668 wrote:can nothing be said about nihilism which doesn't betray what its very essence actually is? must we maintain an eternal positioning of silince in relation to nihilism in order to preserve its essence?

Ah, I did love studying philosophy!
Last edited by dasein668 on Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Figment wrote:that's one shag-a-riffic iPod cover!
Thanks. It's by Agent18. If you are looking for a good case, it comes highly recommended.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Can someone explain...

Post by Tim »

dasein668 wrote: I mean, am I ever going to read this again???

Frankly, I'm impressed you, or anyone, for that matter, could read that even once! I fell asleep just looking at the photo.
Figment wrote:Can't tell you how many times I've moved people who have an attic or basement full of book cartons that are still sealed from the previous move ten years ago.
I dated all the boxes in this move. I read something once that if three years go by and you haven't opened a box for any reason, it should go in the dumpster without further ado.

We filled 2-30 yard dumpsters before moving, as well as overloading the weekly trash guys for months, and still one side of the new shop looks like this:
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Tim

Post by Tim »

Figment wrote:shag-a-riffic
OK, twice in the same day is most definitely an Austin Powers violation. I'll have to fine you if this happens again!
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

well yeah, but how often do we get two metallic-silver paint references in the same day around here? I swear I had no idea that TBS was playing the movie tonight.

Is any packing getting done between the reminiscing and internet posting?? hmmmmm?
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Figment wrote:I swear I had no idea that TBS was playing the movie tonight.
I noticed that and had a good laugh.
Figment wrote:Is any packing getting done between the reminiscing and internet posting?? hmmmmm?
Well, yes, some.

xroyal
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by xroyal »

I had enough of hauling books about in the 70s, and, after culling, hauled about 25 cartons to a library and a jail. Gave another dozen to a library in the 80s + about the same to San Quentin prison. A few months ago another dozen or so to the local library. One of the toughest to let go of was my symbolic logic college text. It seemed time for someone else to enjoy that fun science. I minored in philosophy, and it's a shame more undergrads don't share in same. Darn it's tough to part with those treasures!

A tech journal recently referred to the ipod as a "fashion accessory". I'd say it's pretty practical.

John
John
Santana 22 #195
dkall
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

It's too bad....

Post by dkall »

It's just too bad you can "rip" a book like a tune and then sync it with a iBook_Pod. Than we could take it all with us and search for anything we want on our iBook_Pod.

Oh well, the day will come.
Dave-Westsail 42-Elysium
kendall
Master Varnisher

rip a book

Post by kendall »

Did it a few times, hard to find/out of print books, scan and save, works very nicely.
for some books project gutenberg works nice too, classics mostly, not too much current fiction (scifi my choice), but tons of the classics, and many reference texts. I never realized how much I used them until I noticed I had over a thousand books on the hard drive.

Ken.
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Figment wrote:Can't tell you how many times I've moved people who have an attic or basement full of book cartons that are still sealed from the previous move ten years ago.
I'm not one of them.

Some cookbooks.

More cookbooks.

Paperback fiction.

Gavin's books.

More of Gavin's books.

Hardcover fiction, sci-fi, fantasy, russian literature, political commentary, biography, and history.

Drama and theater, books on writing, poetry, sailing, photography, outdoors, foriegn language, anthologies of literature and essays, music, astronomy.

Brushfire Media, gardening, brewing (plus additional cds yet to be ripped).

Heather's books: Mostly law and education.

Old and valuable, mostly over 100 years in age, rare, and/or first-edition.

Philosophy and religion.

We do need to get one more book case for our first edition Wizard of Oz books, and all of our young-adult books.

It's an illness, I admit.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Umm...are we bored today, Nathan? ;<)
dasein668
Boateg

Post by dasein668 »

Well, it is (err, was) rainy all morning...