Collapsible water bag/tank

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
CapnK
Site Admin

Collapsible water bag/tank

Post by CapnK »

Got a call from a fellow here who was just back from the Bahamas with some rigging issues on his Sabre 36. After we went thru that, we were talking cruising in general and he gave me one of these. Like a giant Platypus, if you know what those are. He told me he'd found them very handy to use, especially when he had to transport water to the boat. Very economically priced, surprisingly sturdy, and pack very small when empty.

https://smartbottleinc.com/product/5-3-gallon/
Attachments
d3-Smart-Bottle_r1_3R7A1567-scaled.jpg
Kurt and Barque, the CrewDog.
Sundance, '71 A-30, #429
Katie Marie, Ariel #422
Melelani, Islander 36 (shoal)

sailFar.net - Small boats, Long distances...
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Collapsible water bag/tank

Post by atomvoyager »

From all the good reviews these look reliable so I just ordered a few to try out. Always difficult to find the right spot to store rigid containers and then have them still take up space when empty. In the past I've used the Reliance collapsible jugs but they often leaked at the fold creases, sometimes even when new. Maybe the plastic they used was too brittle.
CapnK
Site Admin

Post by CapnK »

James I had the same experience with the Reliance containers, and I think that you'll find these to be *much* better. They also stow a lot smaller.

Ideally, they'd make some that were gas/diesel compatible... :D
Sundance, '71 A-30, #429
Katie Marie, Ariel #422

CapnK
Site Admin

Post by CapnK »

I just called them. The 5 gal containers are not compatible, they are a 2 layer construct and the inner layer becomes permeable over time. However, they do make in a 1 gal size a single wall 10 mil thick bag which they have had gas stored in for over 2 years at their shop.
The customer service gal I spoke with is sending me a link to that product, and I'll post it here when I have it.
Sundance, '71 A-30, #429
Katie Marie, Ariel #422

CapnK
Site Admin

Post by CapnK »

This link is for a 1 gal gas container, saying it can be used for "temporary transportation of hydrocarbons". It's about 5x as expensive, but has some extras:

https://wolverinetuff.com/product/one-g ... f-gas-jug/

Interestingly, this 5 gal jug seems to be of the same construction as the above. Given that, I imagine in an emergency it might be usable for the short-term, "temporary transportation of hydrocarbons" as well, but of course that is NOT to be construed as a legally binding statement. :mrgreen:

https://smartbottleinc.com/product/5-3-gallon/
Sundance, '71 A-30, #429
Katie Marie, Ariel #422