Heavy duty Stern anchor bag

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
lsheaf
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Stardust
Boat Type: Allied Seawind 30

Heavy duty Stern anchor bag

Post by lsheaf »

Hey guys

Does anyone have any recommendations on stern anchor bags? I’m looking for something heavy duty with good stitching. I’ve looked on defender.com but wasn’t overly impressed with what I found for the application.

Logan
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Heavy duty Stern anchor bag

Post by atomvoyager »

I'd also be interested to hear what others have come up with. In the past I've made my own out of various synthetic heavy canvas with webbing around it and a drawstring at the end. A mesh material like Phifertex® Standard Vinyl Mesh Grey 54" Fabric is better to allow the wet rode to dry. People use it to make their own lee cloths and I assume it's strong enough to hold the nylon rode and some chain.
https://www.sailrite.com/Phifertex-Mesh-Grey-X11-54
If you're not going to make your own then the large West Marine anchor rode bag Model # 9208265 is what I've used in recent years. It works good for my Jordan Series Drogue as well.
CapnK
Site Admin

Re: Heavy duty Stern anchor bag

Post by CapnK »

I like the Phifertex material a lot and think long-term that would be the way to go. I've used just a regular duffle bag with a zipper enclosure and that's done the job fairly well while being easy to move around. Also, in a pinch, a plastic bucket.
Kurt and Barque, the CrewDog.
Sundance, '71 A-30, #429
Katie Marie, Ariel #422
Melelani, Islander 36 (shoal)

sailFar.net - Small boats, Long distances...