Cabin Lights

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
Nick_ander
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: la resistance
Boat Type: siren 17

Cabin Lights

Post by Nick_ander »

I am looking to swap out the reading lights that are mounted on the bulkhead in the v berth as well as the light fixtures in the salon, and head. I am looking for a good price to longevity ratio. I am curious as to what others have found.

Thanks
markwesti
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Patricia A
Boat Type: Westsail 28

Re: Cabin Lights

Post by markwesti »

Hi Nick , for the over head we use these https://www.alpenglowlights.com/store/o ... ision.html
Yes they are expensive , worth it IMO . The high/low feature is very nice as well as the red light and that is high/low as well . We have been using them for over 10 years , no problems or burnt out LED's .
As for reading lights we need to up date also , maybe . For reading lights we have something like these with LED bulbs .
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=3463845
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by atomvoyager »

Yes, Alpenglow has a good reputation and I've installed a couple over the years. Mostly I've used marinebeam.com - bulkhead reading lights, dome lights, 12" touch strip lights, dimmers, bulbs to retrofit in older existing fixtures, and nav lights. The only problems I've had with them are sometimes the strip lights and chart lights arrived with intermittent switch problems. With MB and Alpenglow you know you won't get radio interference as can happen with other cheap LED brands. MB lists the lumens output which is important to me because others I've found can be too dim for my needs.
Nick_ander
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: la resistance
Boat Type: siren 17

Post by Nick_ander »

Thanks for the recommendations.

I never would have thought about interference.

I have 5 interior lights to replace an spreader lights too. Hopefully a bulb change will do the trick for those.

Thanks again.