GFO Packing

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
markwesti
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Patricia A
Boat Type: Westsail 28

GFO Packing

Post by markwesti »

My friend Don found out about this stuff , we put it on his boat (Catalina 32) after a few adjusts on the gland nut we got it to stop leaking . The big draw to this stuff is that you can tighten the gland nut to the point where it won't drip and it won't hurt the shaft , as in get to tight and over heat and score the shaft . Anyhow we put it on Don's boat about one and a half years ago and it just now needs a tight because it's dripping a bit .
I put it on our boat about 5 months ago (I had been using waxed flak) . Because I'm nervous about getting it to tight , I like to start out very loose , and it was leaking a lot , a few days ago I gave it a big tight . So far no drips and the shaft spins free as can be . Of course it can be used on a rudder shaft . I bought the GFO on Amazon , it was only a couple of bucks more than flax .
http://gfopacking.com/
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: GFO Packing

Post by atomvoyager »

Thanks for posting that. I didn't know about that packing and will try it next time.