why not Dolfinite

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
paul45c
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Moray
Boat Type: O'Day 222

why not Dolfinite

Post by paul45c »

Like probably most of you, I've used just about everything found in either a caulking tube or roll (i.e. butyl tape) to seal the things you bolt onto a boat. But after about 45 years of messing around boats, I just used Dolfinite for the first time a week ago. It was recommended to me by an old timer boatbuilder. Just gotta say I don't understand why more people don't use it for general bedding applications. The stuff is very easy to apply (you just dip a small mixing stick or putty knife into the can and spread it on), it doesn't shrink or dry up, it keeps for absolutely forever on the shelf (try that with caulking tubes that have been opened), it doesn't take the care in handling that butyl tape does (if you don't want it twisting or sticking to itself prematurely), the part can be moved within reason as you're sticking it down, it's paintable (unlike silicone) and it cleans up very easily. Also, the old feller that recommended it to me says it's very durable, and it's a relative bargain given how much product you end up with in the quart can. What's not to like?

And I can personally vouch for the durability. I just pulled off some teak toerail trims that had been screwed down with the product since 1987. The Dolfinite (easy to spot, as it stays its native tan color when not exposed to the sun -- in the sun it bleaches quickly out to white) was still tacky and moist and actually holding down the wood enough that I had to carefully pry it off with a stiff putty knife. I'll definitely be using it much more.
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: why not Dolfinite

Post by atomvoyager »

Thanks for reminding me of Dolfinite. What I like about Bed-it butyl is it's extreme stickiness compared to most other butyls which is why it works so well. It's all about formulation - some work better than others. What I don't like about it is the high cost and it's only available in extremely thin and narrow rolls. Also, it can only be used in some situations where you don't need to bed a fastener going through a tight fitting because it would just peel off. That's no fault of Bed-it butyl, just a characteristic that means you still sometimes need a more liquid sealant or adhesive. Assuming they didn't change the formulation of Dolfinite in a negative way since your toe rails were beded in 1987 it must be a good alternative.
paul45c
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Moray
Boat Type: O'Day 222

Re: why not Dolfinite

Post by paul45c »

Oh, and there's no question of the durability of butyl, too. I had the extreme displeasure (!!!) of removing large flat aluminum window frame extrusions on an old Hatteras sportfish I restored many years ago that were bedded in with wide butyl tape. I never tackled so messy a job. My formerly white nonskid decks a lovely shade of grey after that adventure. The butyl Hatt used was black, and when I finally was able to c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y pry the frames away from the fiberglass, it let go in long tin BLACK strings a la mozzarella cheese. That project still stars in my nightmares. But I had to hand it to Hatteras...that was a great application for butyl. Think of what you had going on in that joint: dark bronze anodized aluminum, white fiberglass and glass, all with dramatically different expansion rates in the brutal southern sun. You need something that sticky and forever flexible. And talk about suction! I almost gave up on trying to save those frames, they were stuck on so hard.

But yeah, I'll be using Dolfinite much more in my bedding applications.