Denatured Alcohol

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
markwesti
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Patricia A
Boat Type: Westsail 28

Denatured Alcohol

Post by markwesti »

In California sometime back in 19' Denatured Alcohol was banned . Not surprizing as they ban all kinds of stuff like that , I didn't realize it in tell a few weeks ago though . We have been using a Origo (non pressurized) Alcohol stove , OK I'm no chemist I thought I can still get Coleman fuel , tried it and no good without a little air pumped into it , it burns out soot . Now I'm getting a little nervous at the thought of converting to a proper Propane set up . I couldn't really find a Propane stove that would fit well as I'm a little confined where the stove would go . A little hunting around and I came up with two things that will work and burn clean . First is a fuel treatment called Heet , I need to use the one in the yellow jug not the red one . Next would be Everclear , yes the moonshine . I think I'm going to pass on that stuff , I know what would happen .
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Denatured Alcohol

Post by atomvoyager »

Another ridiculous law to no useful purpose. Here's a thread to some alternatives such as "stove fuel" that should be available in CA:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php ... ubstitutes
markwesti
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Patricia A
Boat Type: Westsail 28

Re: Denatured Alcohol

Post by markwesti »

OK , I did the burn test and the Heet burns hot and best of all absolutely clean . Best price on Heet is at Home Depot $1.98 per 12 oz . Only bad thing about Heet , a few have said it is not good to breath the burning fumes and don't get on your skin .