Wurst Marine

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Wurst Marine

Post by Skipper599 »

Just a mention about places one may soon NOT be able to purchase ... The marine dealer many like to complain about will be literally closing up all of their stores in B.C. Canada by year end.
Here's the problem as I see it, these guys come into town, set up shop and then undercut all competition until they are the only game in town. Come the time when business slacks off and they fold their tent and leave as quickly as they came.
Similar kind of problem exists in other retail stores Take TARGET for instance, came to town and set up shop. Less than two years later, they abandon the market in BC and head back across the border like bandits in the night.
I know retail is a tough game but, how come a company like the two mentioned failed to research the market well enough to know what they were getting into???

Another situation that is happening in the great NW is, just about all the "used boat gear" stores are closing shop. We used to have five within a reasonable distance of where I live, plus three more south of the border in Washington State ... they have all closed up with the exception of one on the southern tip of Vancouver Island.
I believe this is happening because rising costs are putting an end to the "average person" being able to afford to follow his/her hobby/sport of sailing. Marina fees alone are getting to the point few of us can afford it. Eventually, and not too far in the future, only the filthy rich will be able to enjoy owning and operating a boat, be it power or sail.
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.