Main Sail's butyl tape

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
BALANCE
Skilled Systems Installer

Main Sail's butyl tape

Post by BALANCE »

I bought some a few years ago, still have one roll. Does anyone know if there is a shelf life for this stuff? Are there temperature restrictions when using? And finally, when using, to you take, say, a 2" piece and stretch it as demonstrated in the pictures he put up? I must confess, I will not be using it on a boat this time but on a thin strap of metal that has come loose on the sunroof of my car. I know Compass Marine and Maine Sail is my source and I should probably ask these questions there but there seemed to be no ability to do so. But hey, I now have established a registration with Pbase for photography!? :(
S/V BALANCE
Westsail32
Maine Sail
Skilled Systems Installer

Re: Main Sail's butyl tape

Post by Maine Sail »

My manufacturer guarantees me 1 year shelf life but in many years of testing Bed-It tape I have not been able to determine any marked changes over time. Store in a cool dry place and keep it in the bag and you should easily still be able to work it at 5+ years.. No need to stretch unless you need it thinner.. My email address is on my web site in multiple places.

Compassmarineservices at Gmail dot com

If you click the link in my sig the email address is right there..
-Maine Sail

Canadian Sailcraft 36T
Casco Bay, ME
http://www.marinehowto.com
earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Re: Main Sail's butyl tape

Post by earlylight »

I have used this Butyl tape that ws 4 years old with NO problems.
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net