Mast Cart

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
OldCreek
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Mast Cart

Post by OldCreek »

Anyone got any pics on a rolling mast cart they've built? Perhaps like the ones used to move around kayaks?

Tim mentioned he was going to build one in the past. He talked about a cart on wheels that sits in the center of the mast to pivot it around.

I'm usually alone at the shop and I don't really want to drag the mast on the ground when I need to move her. My mast is approx 32'x4"x6".

I do have about 8 old trailer tires/wheels that could be used just around the yard. I've also 2 8' wide trailer axles but that seems too wide.

I have a welder, torch, cutoff wheel and some C channel scraps, too. :)

But maybe some 2x4s is all i need...
Carl-A259
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Romper
Boat Type: Pearson Triton hull705

Re: Mast Cart

Post by Carl-A259 »

I don't have pictures, but some inflatable wheel barrow tires and wheels from Northern tools or Home depot,(smaller wheels make it harder to move) some of that scrap metal of yours to make a 2' by 3' rectangle cart type fixture and a couple of bolts to fit the wheels as axles . Some old carpet to pad the deck surface of the cart, a tie down scrap to secure the mast to the cart and you should be good. It will be a 2 person job to lift the mast to the cart. If you want to store the mast on the cart I would also fab up some end supports for the mast to keep it level.