Roller Recommendations

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
triton318
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Dove
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Roller Recommendations

Post by triton318 »

I'm getting a list ready for some major painting to be done this spring. I'm going to be using Petit Easypoxy Polyurethane (high glass white) on the topsides, the edges/borders of the deck, and all of the exterior vertical surfaces (cabin sides, cockpit seat sides, etc.). I'll be painting over previously painted surfaces, rolling on and tipping with a brush.

Does anyone have a favorite 9" roller they've used for this type of paint that has given good results and isn't too terribly expensive?

Also, I've never used the metal screen/grill you can put in the paint tray to roll the roller over before taking it out. Does this help? If so, how?

Thanks much.
Jay
Dove, Pearson Triton #318
Hayes, VA
LazyGuy
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Re: Roller Recommendations

Post by LazyGuy »

Just an opinion: 9" rollers are good for flat walls. The 7" roller is much better for the curved hull. Jamestown distributors sells yellow foam rollers that work well for oil based paints and epoxies. I use a standard metal tray with plastic liner to get the thin coat you want for topsides paint. The foam roller on the shallow tray not only helps with the thin coat, the screens normally lead to dunking the entire roller in the paint which ends up getting paint inside the roller that leaks out causing a hanger.

Good Luck
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.