Ultimate Sole

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
JetStream
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Sojourn
Boat Type: Pearson 27

Ultimate Sole

Post by JetStream »

I am about to refinish a teak and holly plywood sole. I know it is not anything more than a veneer on the plywood but it fits my present budget. There used to be a product called "Ultimate Sole" that was a type of clear urethane with a very "grippy" but clear finish. It had rave reviews on some of the cruising sites. Apparently they went out of business in 2010. I wondered if anyone has knowledge of a similar product that gives good durable surface protection but won't have me falling on my head when the sole is wet.
Bruce
radicalcy
Boat Name: AllAboutMe
Boat Type: Columbia 8.7

Re: Ultimate Sole

Post by radicalcy »

Find out what they use on basket ball courts....should work as well as Ultimate Sole. I'm in the same fix. Used U/S before, and now at a loss as to what to use to overcoat it.
Larry Wilson
Columbia 8.7
Columbia Sabre
Tallystick
Boat Name: Nostalgia
Boat Type: Pearson Triton Yawl

Post by Tallystick »

Basketball courts are still very slippery when wet. I slipped on sweat spots numerous times when I used to play. That's why they have ball boys to wipe up sweat.

Maybe you could sand the coating with a very fine grit to get some extra traction?

I still have to install my cabin sole as well. I've considered using clear polysiloxane, as the deck and cockpit I painted with grey PSX-700 doesn't seem to be slippery when wet. Only issue is expense. PSX-700 is pricey at $100+ per gallon. I don't need much so that's likely what I'll use.
Last edited by Tallystick on Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danielguiod
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: HOKAHEY
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by danielguiod »

LeTonkiois claims not to be slippery.
danielguiod
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: HOKAHEY
Boat Type: Pearson Triton