Synthetic rigging?

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
So It Goes
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: So It Goes
Boat Type: CAL 34

Synthetic rigging?

Post by So It Goes »

Anyone using synthetic rigging or know of a discount source for Dynex Dux such as a commercial fishing gear supplier?
gbraun
Boat Name: Varekai
Boat Type: Islander 32 Mk II

Re: Synthetic rigging?

Post by gbraun »

Have been following the development of synthetic rigging, and it seems reasonable only for higher end race boats with large budgets. the downsides of all the new synthetics far outweigh the main upside, which is reduced weight aloft.
So It Goes

Post by So It Goes »

I'm in the middle of re rigging and re-masting my CAL 34 as a cutter and just for the record using synthetic rigging is actually quite a bit cheaper than doing it with wire and mechanical terminals. So far I'm not seeing a downside...

That said I am doing all my own splicing and building my own dead-eyes and terminals. If I had bought off the shelf dead-eyes and terminals I'd still be par with a wire rig.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Hi Bob,

I had not replied in this thread as I didn't have much to add, but now I just want to say thanks for your input, as I'm watching the develpments in synthetic rigging with interest. I sure wouldn't mind if you added your thoughts on it to the forum, if you had the time or inclination (now that you're into the job).

Rachel
Robert The Gray
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by Robert The Gray »

Synthetic ropes incorporated into the running rigging are great. I would say that the only drawback to using synthetic rope as standing rigging is the degradation by UV rays. Racing boats at the high end are re-rigged all the time, whether for tweaking or for transport. Things can be inspected and changed with great regularity. Skiff and dinghies, where weight is really an issue, are not left rigged in the sun for long periods. I think if kept well maintained and not overly stressed, a wire back stay will last 20 years, whereas a synthetic stay would have to be at least recovered sooner. I also found that if one uses lashings to put the proper tension the stay, they have a tendency to work lose after a while. That said, I love spectra. I found a lot of uses for synthetic strings, big and small on my boat. It is real cheap and by using multiple wraps one can get massive strength.

r
Former Owner: Whisper, now Alma 1960 WC Triton
Whisper Projects
Daysailfilms
So It Goes

Post by So It Goes »

A stainless stay will last 20 years but that is twelve years over its sell by date or what most folk would call optimum. Dynex is very good on the UV front and the folks who make it are being very conservative with their five year lifespan as they simply do not yet have the data... They do expect longer and I would not be surprised if it exceeded the eight years which is the standard life that stainless rigging recommends. The difference between the two is that UV damage to line is in your face obvious while work hardening and crevice corrosion is not always so easy to see even with a pocket microscope...

The fact that Dynex Dux is light ( and cuts out about a hundred pounds or so) is a neat byproduct but not the reason I decided to go with synthetic rigging. Having just rerigged with stainless a couple of years back and just been dismasted and lost my rig due to a chainplate failure while on passage, and as such found myself with no mast, no wire and no sails I took the opportunity to take a long hard look at the rig, sails and rigging since I had a for want of a better word a clean sheet to start with... Going synthetic was simply part of the greater picture.

Synthetic won out over stainless for a variety of reasons because it made for a simpler system with the new wood/composite mast. The new rig has no stainless at all at the masthead and we are moving the chainplates (now the only stainless in the rig structure) out board so no place that can not be inspected on a regular basis. Almost all of it is able to be built by myself which keeps the cost down to an affordable level and since the new rig is lower while slightly increasing the sail area I expect it to be a better and more comfortable boat. Knocking a couple of hundred pounds and decreasing the lever arm was not needful as the old CAL 34 rig certainly worked fine but the new rig will be stiffer and more comfortable and that is no bad thing.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

So It Goes wrote: The difference between the two is that UV damage to line is in your face obvious....
Hmm, is the evidence of break down really that obvious? And if so what should one look for as evidence of deterioration? I ask for 2 reasons. One is that I just don't know, and the other is the skeptic in me.

When synthetic rigging first came out if was the result of high performance racing boat syndicates looking to save weight aloft. They never expected it to last. The cost and longevity of the material was virtually inconsequential. They were going to replace it often and without even questioning the need, simply as precaution, not just for safety, but for the sake of winning. I have no doubt that there are manufacturers that are making significant advances towards a practical and lasting version. I am just not so sure that they are at the point of making it practical yet. It certainly seems that you have done your homework. And it seems also that you have used to sound logic in many of your decisions. But to a certain extent, you are part of the test group.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
mitiempo
Boat Name: Mi Tiempo
Boat Type: Canadian Sailcraft CS27

Post by mitiempo »

Dynex Dux did not come from the racing crowd. It came from the commercial fishing industry where cost is a factor. It is not exotically expensive and compares to stainless in price. Below are some links showing Dynex Dux rigging on a Searunner 34 in the Sea of Cortez and Colligo's site.
http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c305/ ... Searunner/
http://www.colligomarine.com/
On the right hand side of Colligo's main page is a box labeled "documents" which details several case studies.
I will be rerigging soon and am seriously looking at Dynex Dux for my boat.
Case
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Case »

Synthetic rigging certainly looks interesting to me. Less weight aloft is always a good thing for performance.

I know that some are suspicious of synthetic but I do have to point this out: Metal standing rigging really were around for maybe a hundred years. For almost all of human history, rope rigging was the way to go. Metal standing rigging came along because it was more stretch-resistant and could last a few years longer before replacement. Now synthetic ropes are closing the gap with metal wires for stretch resistance and durablity so I really do think that the days of stainless steel standing rigging are numbered. Costs are another reason, stainless steel prices will not be going down anytime soon. Factor in shipping costs and you can see the end of commonplace stainless steel rigging within 25 years.

- Case
Homer
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Yankee
Boat Type: Hinckley 38

Post by Homer »

I am going all synthetic. With all of the wire off and composite chainplates in the works, now is a great time to make the jump. Bob, I would like to know more about your wood/composite mast.
So It Goes

Post by So It Goes »

"But to a certain extent, you are part of the test group."

Yep, I realize that but it is a pretty good group to get into!

There was a time with our Boat "So IT Goes" that I seriously considered re-naming it "TestBed" as it seemed we were doing more than our fair share testing things like electric propulsion and suchlike. I do realize that there is always the chance that whatever project I'm working on may not work out 100% and that is simply the way of it without the possibility of failure there is no real progress and its just the same old same.

But so far it works for us as our experience with electric propulsion has been much better than we ever expected it to be and most of our other "cunning plans" have worked out in the same manner. Those that have not on the other hand have taught me lessons of value and in the long run I think I am way ahead of the game.

Our new wood/composite mast is based on a successful formula used by Gold Coast yachts which uses 1/4 inch strip planking and glass to make 65 foot wing spars which have withstood both the test of time and the day in day out of working in the day charter trade (as well as the odd hurricane) down here in the Caribbean... So while I enjoy pushing the envelope a bit I'm never about jumping off a cliff without a parachute!

By the way as to being able to see UV damage having watched what the Caribbean sun does to various ropes is a very good education and rope just seems to have a way of telling you in a big way when it wants to be retired...Whether it be nylon, polypro or Spectra.
mitiempo
Boat Name: Mi Tiempo
Boat Type: Canadian Sailcraft CS27

Post by mitiempo »

Based on what I've read about Dunex Dux the uv degradation seems limited as far as testing so far. The outer part will suffer but the inside strands do not it seems. Because Dynex is about double the strength of stainless size for size even a 20% loss of strength from uv leaves a huge reserve.