Sailrite Sail Kits

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
rickal4884
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Sailrite Sail Kits

Post by rickal4884 »

Has anyone used a sailrite sail kit to make sails?
David VanDenburgh
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Ariel
Boat Type: Cape Dory 36

Re: Sailrite Sail Kits

Post by David VanDenburgh »

I purchased one of their kits two years ago to construct a drifter. It was a cinch to construct, and the directions were very detailed. Sailrite has excellent customer service as well should you need additional support.
Idon84
Boat Name: Cosmic Dancer
Boat Type: Hess Cutter

Post by Idon84 »

I am the happy new owner of some good used sails from a buddy of mine who just decided to rebuild all of his sails using sailrite kits. He originally purchased a stay-sail to try the kit out and was so impressed with everything that he is going all in and rebuilding everything. I asked to see what the kits look like when they arrive, they should be here this week. From what I hear they are EXTREMELY DIY friendly, with a good sewing machine and some patience. I'll try to remember to get more info when I see it myself this week.
Bryon
Cosmic Dancer
1980, Hess Cutter.
http://www.picasaweb.com/idon84
Idon84
Boat Name: Cosmic Dancer
Boat Type: Hess Cutter

Post by Idon84 »

OK, got a chance to look at the kit and read the directions. WOW! They are really well written for the DIY'er offering all of the information you could possible need and more. For instance with his hanked on staysail (where you are using a luff rope instead of luff tape) they even go as far at telling you EXACTLY how to make the eye splices all the way down to marking the correct position for the tail to fit around the thimble and lay properly. Obviously most of us know how to do an eye splice but that just points out how detailed these kits are. The sail pieces are all clearly marked, numbered and have hem lines and sew to lines all set up. And EVERYTHING (and I mean everything) is included but the sewing machine.

I'm sold. I'll be buying a drifter first and then my main through Sailrite to keep with my mantra of wanting to do EVERYTHING on my boat myself. The average cost of my mainsail built by a loft is around $2,500. The Sailrite kit for my boat is only $1,300 with everything I wanted and more on it. Add another $1000 to buy a good zig zag machine and I'm still less than a going to a loft. The added bonus is that now have the knowledge to build or repair yourself and a sweet sewing machine for everything you could possible need all for less than the cost of having one sail built.

I'm hoping to assist with the construction of it on Sunday but just got all 4 wisdom teeth pulled so it all depends on how I'm feeling.
Bryon
Cosmic Dancer
1980, Hess Cutter.
http://www.picasaweb.com/idon84
forrest
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Ophelia
Boat Type: Pearson Renegade

Post by forrest »

I made a head sail. Its super easy to do, takes no significant skill, just time.