Rustoleum Topside paint

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
Symmes1
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Carolyn
Boat Type: Bristol 27

Rustoleum Topside paint

Post by Symmes1 »

I am in the process of getting my boat ready to paint. Has anyone anyone used Rustoleum Topside paint? It is half the price of other topside paints.
MikeD
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Re: Rustoleum Topside paint

Post by MikeD »

I haven't used the topsides paint, but I did use Rust-oleum to paint my aluminum portlight frames. So as not to hijack your thread, I posted my results here: http://www.plasticclassicforum.com/view ... 403#p40403

I used Rust-oleum, so I suppose it's sort of related to your question...
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
Maine Sail
Skilled Systems Installer

Re: Rustoleum Topside paint

Post by Maine Sail »

I think by the time you get done all the prep work the cost of the paint will be a limited concern. You'll likely spend more on sand paper and misc products than you would for a quality two part paint anyway.

If I was stripping and painting any exterior portions of my boat, and I have, I would use a two part acrylic urethane or a linear polyurethane. There is also System Three WR LPU and Interlux Perfection.

While not the same, a friend talked me into Sherwin Williams DTM (direct to metal paint) and I tried it on a hatch, it lasted less than a season before it began lifting.

Can't comment on the Rustoleum and would not take the gamble myself until it has stood the test of time in the marine environment and become a known quantity..
-Maine Sail

Canadian Sailcraft 36T
Casco Bay, ME
http://www.marinehowto.com