Portlight gaskets

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
Desertmariner
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Desertmariner
Boat Type: Soverel 30

Portlight gaskets

Post by Desertmariner »

Hi,
I have all six portlights out of the boat and am getting ready to paint. The windows have all been cleaned up and are shinny chrome and bronze varigations. The gaskets where shot. The ones that seal the outside ring are pretty easy to fab. they're flat and about .300... The inner seals that seal the framed glass to the flat surface on the inside of the light is the hard one. It has a step in the profile. A cut away view would look like an "L" . Can't seem to find a source anywhere. They were manufactured by Foresti and Suardi in Italy. and are 6.5 x15 inch Ovals. I'm thinking about building a mold out of Starboard. and then pouring silicone or polyurathane or ????.in the female mold. Nothing sticks to Starboard so it might work. Has anyone tried this?
Thanks
Desertmariner

Re: Portlight gaskets

Post by Desertmariner »

Pictures
Attachments
soverel project port lights 008.jpg
soverel project port lights 003.jpg
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Would any of these rubber shapes meet your needs?
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
onymous
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: LemmaLemma
Boat Type: Ericson 25

Post by onymous »

If that doesn't work, check http://wefcorubber.com/extrusions_indus ... strips.asp.
Also look at their extrusion profiles.
Desertmariner

Post by Desertmariner »

So I'm still hashing around solutions for my gasket issue. My thinking is that if i buy the straight stock and then bend it around the radius of the oval light it will bunch up and not conform properly. So i'm thinking more along the lines of making a mold out of Starboard and filling it with some kind of caulk. i.e. silicone or EPDM. Letting it set up and Volia! a new gasket.....Anyone ever try this?
Incidentally the manufacture (Foresti and Suardi) responded to my email but didn't follow through with "how to get new gaskets" . I'm guessing they want me to buy new ones at 450 bucks apiece. They are cool portlights and given new gaskets I'm home.....
Rich

P.s.I read my first post and i guess i'm repeating myself. Sorry for that....when you get to be my age ......well that happens.
rich
One Way David
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Pearson Ensign

Post by One Way David »

Desertmariner, hi. I'm not an experienced boat guy but have done this in the automotive world many times. Silicone, grease and set up the parts to give the shape of the gasket desired. One would want to consider the differences in hot oil under x pressure versus cold water under y pressure. I guess you could build a test tank and bolt the port to the bottom, fill with water and let sit to test fot integrity. Depending on the application, a lot of the automotive DYI uses this method instead of off the shelf gaskets. IMO.
Never finish all your projects or you'll be bored.