Groco Seacock Vendor - Wholesale Marine?

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
avd155

Groco Seacock Vendor - Wholesale Marine?

Post by avd155 »

I'm looking to buy all new seacocks for my Bristol and from shopping around a bit (both local and online) I found Wholesale Marine to be the cheapest. Here's the seacocks I'm looking at: http://www.wholesalemarine.com/p/GRO-FBV-750/

They have great prices on sea cocks, but has anyone ordered from this vendor? Their prices are so much lower than some other vendors that I'm almost concerned that they aren't trust worthy vendor. Anyone out there had an experience with ordering from them or maybe somewhere cheaper?

Here's a photo of the Groco seacock I'm looking at.

mitiempo
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Mi Tiempo
Boat Type: Canadian Sailcraft CS27

Re: Groco Seacock Vendor - Wholesale Marine?

Post by mitiempo »

You're right, they are very cheap. Here's a link to Jamestown distributors. http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... e=Seacocks and Ball Valves&categoryId=164&refine=1&page=GRID
On this page they show 2 different type of Groco seacocks. The one in the main pic at the top has a stainless ball @ $125.60 and the one lower down has a chromed brass ball @$44.16 for the same size. The model # has 1 digit different (GRO-BV750 vs GRO-FBV750).The lower one is probably the one in your link but I think there has to be a larger difference than the stainless vs brass. Chinese vs US made maybe? Hopefully someone else will add to this. I wouldn't purchase until the difference is known though.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Do check into these seacocks thoroughly.

When I did the research prior to buying mine, in 2007 (or 2008?), the lower end Grocos (which I think those are), did not look like a good bet to me.

At that time, they had recently been recalled because some of the foreign-made stainless components had been deemed unacceptable. Probably due to the change in materials, numerous catalogs still listed them as having stainless wetted components (even after the recall), and there was some confusion amongst retailers, apparently.

I called Groco and talked to someone in the technical department (maybe it was engineering), and they told me that they had changed to *brass* wetted components, and that the seacocks were being made overseas. I said no thank you to those.

Obviously things could have changed by now, but I would urge you to do your research, and not to necessarily rest with info from just one source, unless it is Groco themselves.

For economical seacocks, I would recommend looking into the Apollos by Conbraco. When I did my research these were being made in the US with US bronze, bronze wetted components and a chromed bronze ball. The price was very reasonable. Again, double check this as it has been two years.

Rachel

PS: Groco's top end seacocks are fine products, and I still use their PTH connectors and the like, so I'm not writing off the company in general.

PPS: I have made a couple of other posts telling more about the various seacocks I looked into, but the Conbraco/Apollos were the only "budget" ones I thought were acceptable (to me).
mitiempo

Post by mitiempo »

Rachel, you're right, the Conbraco Apollo do look good. I think I would be more comfortable with the bronze balls of the Conbraco rather than the stainless or the brass of the Groco. And the prices aren't bad. A bit more than the cheap Groco but a lot less than the more expensive Groco. This pic and price is from Jamestown Distributors for 3/4"
Attachments
1.jpg
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

One note on the Apollo/Conbraco: Of course for the budget price, you can't have everything. These seacocks (and the lower end Grocos) do have a stamped steel handle and not a cast bronze one. So there is potential for corrosion, especially with the rubber cover. And they just don't have the nice heft in the hand of a cast bronze handle.

That said, I have not heard of any that have broken off in hand (it's been corrosion on the upper handle that I've seen), and they are inexpensive to replace. A friend of mind ordered new handles a year or so ago (his seacocks were nowhere near new at that point so it wasn't that they had deteriorated quickly) and the new ones were at least twice as beefy as the originals. He removed the yellow plastic on the new handles so as not to trap moisture.

So, I don't see the handles as a problem, or a safety issue (and I did put these seacocks in my A-30); I see them as more of an aesthetic point, and perhaps something you would want to replace at some point.

Rachel
mitiempo

Post by mitiempo »

Rachel
The specs for the Conbraco I posted say stainless handles, maybe they improved them.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

mitiempo,

I think that those particular handles have always been stainless - sorry, I should have said that. What I was concentrating on is that they are stamped (or cut?) metal. I'm not that up on metal working terms, but essentially they are a flat piece of stainless steel that has been cut out of a big sheet of metal, as far as I can tell.

This is in contrast to a really nice cast bronze handle, such as you would get on a top-of-the-line Groco seacock, a Perko, a Spartan, or an older Wilcox-Crittenden (for example).

Although I have seen occasional failures (breakage) on the handles of Marelon seacocks (wasn't going to bring this in, but I guess am now), I have not seen any actual failures of the stamped/cut type stainless handles. I have seen them get corroded and somewhat unpleasant looking/feeling.

I am usually totally up for spending the extra to get top-end gear, but because that "not too much more" gets multiplied with seacocks (because you have a number of them on most boats), and because I determined that, for me, the extra was mostly about a nicer aesthetic feel (meaning I thought that the Apollos would function just fine), I decided for once to compromise a bit. I did go back and forth for a while though, and could really have gone either way. I could see taking the plastic off the stainless handles to let the stainless get some air. What I would not do was buy seacocks that had metals I did not feel confident in, just in order to save money. The lower-end Grocos fell into this category for me.

There, now I rattled on, but kept the earlier post less lengthy :)

Rachel
mitiempo

Post by mitiempo »

I agree Rachel. The Conbraco would be my choice, a choice I'll also have to make in a few months. Marelon would not be my choice as I think they're not strong enough (some handles) and I think they tend to try and solve a problem that really doesn't exist amongst good marine bronze seacocks. How many properly maintained bronze seacocks have you seen that were destroyed or compromised by electrolysis or galvanic action. Unless there is an underlying problem I don't think it is much of an issue.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

And just to clarify: I'm not against Marelon seacocks. I have seen a few broken handles, which is a bit unsettling, but I understand that can be avoided with regular exercising and (perhaps?) lubrication. Not a bad idea to work seacocks on a regular basis.

I still prefer bronze myself, but I wanted to make sure no-one took me as being patently against Marelon (if I were against all plastic I wouldn't be owning a fiberglass boat...).

Rachel
mitiempo

Post by mitiempo »

I'm not dead against Marelon but wouldn't consider them unless the boat was steel or aluminum. While our boats are plastic I think the mechanical parts that move should be stronger. Especially below the waterline. A good quality seacock like the Conbraco if maintained should outlast all of us. Look at the 30+ year old boats with working gate valves, not that I'd ever recommend those.
Maine Sail
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Maine Sail »

According to their tech rep the balls in Groco's are actually red brass balls not the same inexpensive yellow brass that home centers sell.

While red brass is slightly different in composition than the 85-5-5-5 bronze used in the bodies red brass & 85-three-5 bronze are very close galvanically speaking. I'd be very surprised if the balls in the Apollo's are actually teh same composition as the valve body but with Apollo, and their engineering, anything is possible. There are many forms of brass, red brass and bronze all referred to as bronze or even brass.

I have yet to have one of my Groco's show any signs of corrosion, not that they won't. I actually had one off last year that was 7-8 years old and the ball looked brand new and was un-pitted..I can't recall from the log when this one was exactly replaced. The PO installed it while off cruising.

The photo's below are of a one year old +/- yellow brass Home Depot ball valve also installed by the previous owner. It was installed on the same boat as the Groco BV pictured above and in use during the same time period. When I asked this seasoned boating veteran why he used a ball valve from Home Depot he said; "it was only in a pinch while coming up the ICW but after it was installed I forgot to replace it with bronze one".

This "Home Depot" valve was in use for about 8-12 months, of total in water time, and the ball, inside the valve, is completely gone, as in not there & corroded away. This valve was literally weeks away from catastrophic failure of the boat sinking type. It was seriously dezincifying as noted by the pinkish coppery color both inside and out. I can only imagine how high the zinc content in that valve was..?

Home Depot Special:

The whole idea of the Groco flanged adapter is that the threads, on the top of the flange, or inside of the hull, are NPT (tapered cut) just like a standard ball valve is.

The threads on the bottom of the flange, or facing the outside of the hull, are NPS (straight cut) to match the straight threads of a thru-hull.

The flanged adapter was invented for a number of reasons all of which make it one of the best inventions as of late for seacock technology, at least IMHO.

Flanged Adapter Benefits:

#1 Matched threads between BV and adapter and thru-hull and adapter.

#2 Stronger than slapping a BV on a thru-hull and as strong as most flanged seacocks as measured by cross sectional thickness.

#3 Saves money down the road because the valve replacement, which is almost always the first to fail, takes less than five or ten minutes and can be done in the water any where.

#4 Allows for easier plumbing configuration when low internal height to cabin sole etc. limit the total valve height.

#5 Can be permanently mounted to the hull and allows easy valve replacement in any location in the world without requiring a haul-out. NPT ball valves are easy to find anywhere in the world, even in remote locations.

#6 Makes future seacock/valve replacements far less expensive and considerably less invasive and time consuming.

#7 Ball valves are less expensive than flanged seacocks so the second time you change a BV you are way ahead financially.

#8 Carrying one or two sizes of spare BV's, as a world cruiser, is much cheaper than carrying spare seacocks.

#9 Spare BV's can be used in a pinch for far more on your vessel than can a spare flanged seacock. A 3/4" BV is a good spare to have but a spare 3/4" flanged seacock is only a spare seacock.

#10 In a remote location, when you can't find a replacement seacock, nor a place to haul out or beach the vessel and wait for a tide, you can use any, brass, stainless, bronze or even copper or plastic NPT/NPT ball valve to get you back in business. Of course if you use sub par metals be sure to change it back out when you get to a local where bronze valves are available. If a flanged seacock fails to open or close you will need to replace the entire unit not just spin a valve off and replace it.

The #1 failure of BV's, as I have experienced them many times, is the ball and seats, not corrosion of the bronze body or thru-hull. When folks do not open or close the valves enough growth attaches to the closed ball and when opened it digs up the phenolic valve seat or scores the ball. The same type of scoring can happen on tapered cone valves, seen it, and repaired it, if not used enough.

I have not yet seen a 35 year old BV, in the marine environment, still operable. I'm sure there may be some out there that still work but I have not come across one. On the other hand I have seen hundreds of re-usable thru-hulls at the 30-35 year mark making them almost permanent or at least multiples more permanent than a BV so long as corrosion does not take over. I have also seen 30+ year old tapered cone seacocks still operable after re-lapping such as Blakes or Spartan's..

It is almost always the BV that fails and not the thru-hull unless it was broken off because it was not installed into a flanged seacock or flanged adapter.

I cracked a thru-hull on my own boat in a storm. This was a valve on a thru-hull with no flange (Catalina). My boat was quickly hauled and every seacock converted to flanges and through bolts, though well before the flanged adapter became available..

Hamilton Marine is a great source for the ball valves and flanged adapters as is Jamestown. Using the flanged adapters allow you to choose Apollo/Conbraco vlaves if you want or use the Groco's..

Just another thought...
Last edited by Maine Sail on Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Maine Sail

Canadian Sailcraft 36T
Casco Bay, ME
http://www.marinehowto.com
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Maine Sail wrote:According to their tech rep the balls in Groco's are actually red brass balls not the cheap yellow brass that home centers sell.

While red brass is slightly different in composition than the 85-5-5-5 bronze used in the bodies red brass & 85-three-5 bronze are very close galvanically speaking. I'd be very surprised if the balls in the Apollo's are actually 85-three-5 bronze. There are many forms of brass, red brass and bronze all referred to as bronze or even brass.

I have yet to have one of my Groco's show any signs of corrosion. I actually had one off last year that was 7-8 years old and the ball looked brand new and was un-pitted
Hi Maine Sail,

On your last point, I would hesitate to make a recommendation for the "economical" Grocos based on that, because we know they have radically changed construction and materials at least once in the last 7-8 years (after they recalled unacceptable versions with stainless and went to brass). (By the way, Peter in this forum had the unfortunate experience of having installed all new Groco seacocks, only to have them recalled. To add insult to injury, the new seacocks supplied were the ones with brass wetted components. No labor was covered, as I remember it.)

As to what grades of bronze or brass are used, well, you have a point because I did not take the research that far. For myself, I decided that US made bronze (of whatever grade) was preferable to foreign-sourced-and-made brass. It's possible I may have been too quick to decide though.

Also, I may be mis-remembering, but I think it was more than the ball that was brass on the low end Grocos. Perhaps the stem and other parts as well (?). It has been a couple of years, and once I chose the seacocks I wanted to use I put some of the other details out of mind.

This points up the need for anyone buying seacocks now to do some current research, and to ask detailed questions of the manufacturers, especially if they are not buying top-of-the-line models (and for myself, I would check on even those).

Rachel
Last edited by Rachel on Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mitiempo

Post by mitiempo »

Maine Sail
I agree the flanged adaptors make sense all around. Based on a check of prices on Jamestown Dist. site the price is not much different than going with the less expensive Groco flanged seacock - 3/4" for $56 adaptor & ball valve vs $44 for the seacock in one. But at the beginning of this thread I posted about 2 different models of Groco seacock at vastly different prices with little apparent difference. GRO-BV750 vs GRO-FBV750. Why is the price so different?
And if you decide to go with the flanged adaptors which ball valve do you choose? I note the Conbraco and Apollo ball valves at Jamestown are tagged "not for underwater use". The Groco and Buck-Algonquin are stated as ok for seacock use at comparable prices and then there is the 3/4" Perko ball valve @ $196. Do they actually sell many of those and why do they price as if they were gold?
Maine Sail
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Maine Sail »

mitiempo wrote:Maine Sail
I agree the flanged adaptors make sense all around. Based on a check of prices on Jamestown Dist. site the price is not much different than going with the less expensive Groco flanged seacock - 3/4" for $56 adaptor & ball valve vs $44 for the seacock in one. But at the beginning of this thread I posted about 2 different models of Groco seacock at vastly different prices with little apparent difference. GRO-BV750 vs GRO-FBV750. Why is the price so different?
And if you decide to go with the flanged adaptors which ball valve do you choose? I note the Conbraco and Apollo ball valves at Jamestown are tagged "not for underwater use". The Groco and Buck-Algonquin are stated as ok for seacock use at comparable prices and then there is the 3/4" Perko ball valve @ $196. Do they actually sell many of those and why do they price as if they were gold?
It would be my guess that Buck Algonquin and Perko are not making their own valves and most likely sourcing them, hence the outrageous prices. I used to rep a line of "US" valves and only the very, very expensive commercial valves were still made in the US. Apollo/Consolidated Brass Co. are top line valves in the world of plumbing & heating, they build great valves, and they build almost all of them in the US, this is why they are so expensive.

I have had no issues with my Groco's but was also very aware of the recall, never a good situation. Still if I do have an issue I simply un-thread them and replace them in about 5-10 minutes, perhaps with some Apollo's. Still the flanges are 85/5/5/5 bronze and have no dissimilar metals or balls & stems and will allow you to mix and match another vendors bronze valves.

If I am remembering my Groco speak FBV = Flanged Ball Valve or a flanged seacock, and BV = Ball Valve. So an FBV-750 is a 3/4" flanged ball valve seacock and a BV-750 is a 3/4" ball valve with no flange. An FBV-1000 is a 1" flanged ball valve seacock..
Last edited by Maine Sail on Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
-Maine Sail

Canadian Sailcraft 36T
Casco Bay, ME
http://www.marinehowto.com
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I'll have to admit that I'm not a fan of the flanged adapters in places where a "normal" seacock can be used (I do understand that in certain cases it may be those or nothing, due to cramped spaces).

But, having said that, it is only a personal bias of mine, and is not based on any hard evidence of their being problematic, so it must be taken with a cranky, "get off my lawn" grain of salt. I think what bothers me about them is the fact that you have threads cut into two separate pieces - which as a result are no longer full thickness material - and that those two pieces are "upstream" of the shut-off lever/ball. I have this feeling that I want solid material between the shut-off lever/ball and the sea.

However, as I noted, as of this point in time this is just a feeling, and not something based on any empirical data that I know of.

I do also realize that the flanged seacocks can have the upper part removed or replaced without having to re-do the flange; but since they are ball valves (which do not need regular servicing like cone-types), I'm not sure why that's very beneficial (except perhaps 30 years down the line when it may be time to replace them?) I may not be thinking of a benefit that will be obvious once I hear it though.

Rachel
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Everyone,

There's some good and thorough information here, but I think we've now covered it all as usefully as it can be covered.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating