Le Tonkinois varnish

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
preserved_killick
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Seagrass
Boat Type: Alberg 30

Le Tonkinois varnish

Post by preserved_killick »

Anyone have any actual experience with this stuff? Apparently it has had favorable reviews in various publications, but I can't find any references to first hand experience with it.

I'll buy a quart to experiment with..anyone want to enlighten me..am I wasting my time?

-Jeff
1965 Alberg 30 #116
http://picasaweb.google.com/fongemie
Case
Skilled Systems Installer

Re: Le Tonkinois varnish

Post by Case »

No personal experience with LeTonk. But did hear many positives about this varnish. One common thread that I seem to pick up about LeTonk is that it is easy to apply and many people choose it for that reason alone - LeTonk apparently are not as durable as regular spar varnish but is so easy to apply that many prefer it over regular spar varnish.

I'm thinking about getting LeTonk for myself. From my varnish experiences, I might as well get a varnish that is pleasing & easy to apply frequently. I use Epifianes for my exterior wood parts... only the dropboards & vertical sides of my coamings are doing well. Everything else are either peeling or crazing!

- Case
tpl
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: doe
Boat Type: swan 36

Re: Le Tonkinois varnish

Post by tpl »

tung oil varnish, quite different from the transparent rubber paints
sold by others as "varnish." Have used with good success.
nature loves to hide (heraclitus)