Dodger

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
LazyGuy
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Dodger

Post by LazyGuy »

Heading to Rockland ME for a few days (by car) and a good friend of mine went to school with the owner of Gemini Marine Products and custom canvas. Their claim to fame is a dodger (and Bimini) that is self supporting. They have a patented way of doing a rigid frame that easily collapses. He has a booth at the Maine Boatbuilder's show but I never felt I was ready to talk with him. Well, I have decided that while i am in Rockland, I am going to stop by and have a chat some time this week.

I know this is a bit late since I am leaving this morning but does anyone have any experience/opinion with Gemini. I know this ain't going to be cheap but a good dodger can be a life saver in both the sun and bad weather. Then we need to talk about a Bimini - I can already see that my wallet may not be making the trip home. Oh well, as Tim says "What the boat wants........." and while the price may be a bit of a shock, once it is done, it will make my wife happy.
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Dodger

Post by Tim »

I just went to the Gemini website, as I wasn't familiar with the drop-top dodger before. It looks like a nice concept. Making a dodger as versatile as possible is a good thing. I am a big fan of dodgers and wouldn't be without one, but sometimes you want to minimize their intrusion. The "convertible" idea is intriguing.

I just modified mine over the winter to include removable wings, which was an outstanding decision, but the removable roof, with fixed windshield, looks like a very interesting idea for future consideration. I'd have to see some of these in person first, though.

Gemini has been around a while, but I have never had any direct (or even indirect) experience with them. But please report back on your findings about this dodger concept and Gemini Canvas in general. Enjoy your vacation.

Good canvas that is custom-designed to match the individual boat--in both form and function--is worth whatever the price is. Cheap canvas is junk.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
LazyGuy

Post by LazyGuy »

Yes, I am a "Swamp Yankee wannabe" Frugal but not cheap. Buying second quality usually means you will be buying quality the second time. The old, ripped dodger that I have was a mail order P.O.S. from one of the P.O.s It only provides sun and a little bit of rain protection. I will not miss it. Being fair skinned and having spent time crossing both Block Island sound to Cuttyhunk and Massachusetts Bay from Maine to the CCC I appreciate the protection.

The Swamp Yankee wannabe is why it took me three years to buy a Multimaster but would only buy a Multimaster rather than the imitations.

Thanks for the feedback.
Cheers

Dennis

Maine Sail
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Maine Sail »

As far as dodgers go John Lemole (sp?) / Gemini is one of the best in Maine. We have lots of really talented canvas guys but John is a clear stand out. Mobile Marine Canvas, Gemini & Richard Hallett (only Richard not any of his employees) would be the only three I would have make my next dodger. Unfortunately when dealing with Hallett these days there is no guarantee Richard will build your dodger..
-Maine Sail

Canadian Sailcraft 36T
Casco Bay, ME
http://www.marinehowto.com
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

As I see it there are a couple of very important details in a dodger. It needs to compliment the lines of your boat, allow access up and down the companionway yet be able to see over it standing. block all weather at anchor with the companionway open, provide a dry place to weather for crew to hide, have some means of opening forward for ventilation on hot days, be fabricated taut with no wrinkles and be down right sturdy with a grab bar. Having the top removable doesn't seem that important to me. I would have liked the whole thing to collapse forward easily, which mine could do by replacing some machine screw in the struts with release pins, but my canvas guy said that this would put too much wear on the Izenglass and possibly cause serious damage to it.

Like everything on a boat, most any detail that will provide some great benefit will most likely cost some kind of trade off in return. Dodgers are indispensable as I see it, but getting the right for you might not be so easy to see. Finding someone who is very good at making them, and is a sailor himself really makes all the difference.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Post by Peter »

Speaking of Dodgers, I saw an interesting setup on a Grampian 28 while out on my annual cruise in June.
Here's some pictures:

Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
Oscar
Boat Name: Lady Kay IV
Boat Type: 1990 Dragonfly 25

Post by Oscar »

Dodgers are a must...having said that a custom job is NOT in the budget, so it will be pipe, cloth and a few hours of hard work. No, I'm not the worlds best canvas maker, but I can do it to the point where I take pride looking at it, stay dry sitting under it, and the heck with everyone else...... The Gemini is providing some interesting inspiration.

Here an "out of the box" solution to the problem on a few boats back..... I think the whole thing was under $150.....

Out there, alone, there is only truth.
LazyGuy

Post by LazyGuy »

Thanks for all the input. As always the devil is in the details. Being able to get out of the cockpit quickly to react to something on deck. A grab rail (granny bar) that will hold up against my weight. Vision, ventilation and aesthetics.

The talk with Llisa at Gemini was good. Since I did not have the boat in Rockland, I would be better off going local. The trip for him to come to Mystic to do a mock up would be costly and frankly, not worth it. So I am off to do some local research. Probably right down in the marina where I store for the winter. I think his name is Jim Frink. Seems to be the one that most are recommending since the canvas shop in Essex went out of business.

Now it is just a matter of getting in line for delivery next spring. The old ragged mail order dodger will be set up today.
Cheers

Dennis

Oscar
Boat Name: Lady Kay IV
Boat Type: 1990 Dragonfly 25

Post by Oscar »

Sounds like a good excuse to cruise up to Rockland.....
Out there, alone, there is only truth.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

LazyGuy wrote: Probably right down in the marina where I store for the winter. I think his name is Jim Frink. Seems to be the one that most are recommending since the canvas shop in Essex went out of business.
His name is Jim Funk and one of the finest dodger designer/fabricators in the business. He made mine.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
LazyGuy

Post by LazyGuy »

That is him and thanks for the recommendation.
Cheers

Dennis

So It Goes
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: So It Goes
Boat Type: CAL 34

Post by So It Goes »

I'm just finishing up a hard dodger for So It Goes and been doing sporadic updates on the progress on the blog (http://boatbits.blogspot.com/2009/07/ha ... gress.html).

Hard dodgers make a lot of sense and as far as bang for the buck is concerned my outlay for this one is coming in at less than $200. Light enough to be lifted with one hand (though a tad awkward) and strong enough for me to stand on ( all 220LBS of me)