System Three Epoxy Resin

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
Triton106
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

System Three Epoxy Resin

Post by Triton106 »

Hi All,

I thought I pass on my experience with System Three general purpose epoxy resin so others won't suffer my "pain".

I switched from West System to System Three after an incident whereby the West resin and hardener "overflowed" from their containers over night (I still don't know how that can happened except to suspect that the heat from the container expanded the air inside resulting higher pressure inside the container) resulting in unbelievable mess on the galley table and the batteries under the table. I have been generally pleased with System Three epoxy (I have used their laminating and general purpose resins) so far. However, one of the bottles of the general purpose resin recently became cystalized by itself prompting me to question if I accidentally mixed some hardeners in the resin bottle. So I called the distributor (Defender) and the manufacturer and learned that this is not uncommon although it only happens to the general purpose resins. The work around to resolve the issue is to soak the resin bottle in a hot water container for several minutes and the resin will return to its liquid state. I did not believe them at first because I just could not envision how crystalized solid can simply return back to liquid statet. But I tried it anyway and it actually worked!

This is not meant to be an endorsement of the System Three product, just want to share my experience.

Best regards,
Ray D. Chang
Triton 106 in Berkeley, CA
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: System Three Epoxy Resin

Post by Hirilondë »

Crystallizing of the resin is common to most if not all epoxies. It usually occurs when it gets cold. I can just happen over time.
Triton106 wrote: The work around to resolve the issue is to soak the resin bottle in a hot water container for several minutes and the resin will return to its liquid state.
That is common practice. Any form of heat will work, but hot water is one of the safest ways to assure you don't cook it.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
LazyGuy
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Re: System Three Epoxy Resin

Post by LazyGuy »

I prefer the system three over West simply because it is 2:1. Much easier to measure relatively accurately than 5:1 without getting pumps for every size container you have.

Same is true with MAAS, 2:1.

Cheers
Dennis
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.