Paint over epoxy (cheap, not pretty)

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
Oscar
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Lady Kay IV
Boat Type: 1990 Dragonfly 25

Paint over epoxy (cheap, not pretty)

Post by Oscar »

I'd like to give the inside of the floats a quick coat of paint. Preferably white or gray. What can I slop over the epoxy that will not flake without having to sand/prime? Although a primer may work..... Doesn't have to be pretty, just stick. And, not kill the budget (or what's left of it....)
Out there, alone, there is only truth.
Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Re: Paint over epoxy (cheap, not pretty)

Post by Peter »

Oscar,
You may want to check this post before you dab the paint on.

After a good scrub, my personal preference for this type of work is a good quality outdoor porch and deck urethane.
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Oscar wrote:What can I slop over the epoxy that will not flake without having to sand/prime?
You can use whatever paint you feel is appropriate, but if you don't prep the surface adequately you're probably creating more future trouble than it's worth, if the paint doesn't adhere.

To me, proper prep in an area like this this means water wash with Scotch-Brite pad, and a light sanding followed, of course, by a thorough cleaning. It won't take you long, but if you skip these steps you may well regret it.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Excellent. I like the porch paint idea.
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

I'm quite sure that I would not paint the interiors of those hulls. It's way too much trouble to get them clean enough for any sort of sucess and even more trouble to get it cleaned of paint after failure or in preparation for subsequent repair.

I've tried Wests' stuff for tinting epoxy for repair of screw holes. Not wholly (...) successful. If there's a same-material coating which would do the job, it'd be ideal; subsequent repair would be fine.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Oscar wrote:I'd like to give the inside of the floats a quick coat of paint
Why?
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Aesthetics. I am installing two watertight bulkheads to section off crash zones in the fore and aft. The 10" flimsy screw hatch in the center is being replaced by a proper rectangular hatch. In there, there will be fenders and boat hooks and the likes. (Nothing heavy). I'd like it to be somewhat spiffed up.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane

Post by Hirilondë »

I guess the reason I asked why was that your heart didn't seem to be really into the preparation necessary for any paint to last, even a cheap but not pretty application. Like Tim said, if you don't prep it well then any paint you use won't last. If it isn't worth doing well, I would question whether it is worth doing at all. Pealing new paint isn't any more aesthetically pleasing than your old finish. If time and energy are tight this year, then just wait until next year or when ever it becomes important enough to devote the time needed to do it well.
Dave Finnegan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Oh no, I don't want peeling. I guess it's all relative. When I mean cheap and not pretty I mean not Awlgrip expensive and pretty. And yes, surface prep is always in order. Guess we're talking utilitub vs Corian sink here, but that doesn't mean the pipes can leak. How's that for a metaphor...... ;)
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Oscar wrote:What can I slop over the epoxy that will not flake without having to sand/prime?
Perhaps this statement is what led to the confusion over your needs and desires for the job.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Hmmm, after re-reading I see that now. OK, there is no magical-self-etching-omni-bonding-universally-adhering $5/gallon paint that will do the job.......
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane

Post by Hirilondë »

Oscar wrote:Hmmm, after re-reading I see that now. OK, there is no magical-self-etching-omni-bonding-universally-adhering $5/gallon paint that will do the job.......
Haha, let me know if you ever find one, I like being lazy as much as the next guy.
Dave Finnegan
LazyGuy
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Post by LazyGuy »

Friends and I have discovered Interlux Bilge Coat. While you will still need to do a proper prep, The stuff is easy to apply, easy to clean, and seems to last.

I find that the gray is too dark and the white is.... well, just white so for the inside of my dingy (see post in this section on boat graphics) I swapped 8 oz in a can of white and a can of gray. I was very pleased. The light gray is the inside of the hull and seats, the darker gray is the transom, thwart supports and gunwale (as well as the cat paw prints.) For more volume, I would simply do the Gallon of white and a quart of gray.
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Hah! Bilge coat....why didn't I think of that. May have some in stock!