Polyurethane Pad Between Bulkhead and Hull

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
Triton106
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Polyurethane Pad Between Bulkhead and Hull

Post by Triton106 »

Does anyone know where I can find polyurethane foam strip like the one shown in this picture (the light blue strips) of Tim's Daysailor project? The westcoast Tritons do not have a bulkhead between the lazerette area under the poop deck and the space under the cockpit. I am planning to put one there to (1) provide a little support to the cockpit since I recently cut out the fiberglass fuel tank under the cockpit sole that at one point provided structural support, and (2) so that the stuff I put in the lazerette will not slide into the bilge. Thanks very much in advance for your help.
Ray D. Chang
Triton 106 in Berkeley, CA
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Polyurethane Pad Between Bulkhead and Hull

Post by Tim »

I don't think you need the foam for the application you are suggesting, but if you'd like to do so, use any closed-cell foam like Core-Cell, Airex, or similar. These can all be sourced online.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
kabauze
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Nevermind
Boat Type: Pearson Triton #450

Post by kabauze »

Ray -

How difficult a job was it to cut out the old fiberglass fuel tank? I was just about to start cutting mine out (#450 is a WC too). Was yours the same tank as mine: a 25 gallon monstrosity that occupies most of the space under the cockpit sole and even sticks out several inches on each side of the footwell? I've looked at mine carefully and it seems it must come out in pieces. And I can imagine that the sole might need some reinforcement without the tank there anymore.

Thanks & best -

Todd
Attachments
Why I don't need the old tank anymore
Why I don't need the old tank anymore
Old Tank
Old Tank
Triton106

Post by Triton106 »

Todd,

Yes, it was a monster of a job to cut it out. I thought about it for a long long time before finally resolving to do i t. The final encouragement to do "the right thing" came from Rob Heggen who also recently cut out his tank.

Rob and I had slightly different approach to cutting it. He chose to cut the tabbings along the two sides out and then proceeded to cut out the portion sticking out from the bottom of the cockpit on both sides. Once he had access to the tabings under the cockpit (the ones that run athwardship) through the now open tank he then proceeded to cut the them out. His tank came out in many pieces.

I chose to cut the tabbing along all four sides first to get the tank off the cockpit. Then I cut a V shaped tank top off (i.e. if you look at the top that is cut off from the fore and aft direction you see a V shape) so that the remainin bottom can slide out of the cockpit. So mine came out more or less in two large pieces.

Both of our tanks weight about 50 lbs and they are monsters. I am really glad that I did it because the tank is not only filthy (no access port built in as you know) the ethanol gas was really eating into it and it is just matter of time before it is completely eaten through (structurally speaking).

I see you have already found a bulkhead tank that fits nicely. I am wondering what kind of tank you are using. I found an OEM tank from Moeller Marine (18 Gal, Model No. 1811) that based on my mock up could fit under the cockpit space ($232 plus shipping). I ordered it last week and expect that I should have it in couple of week.

Rob bought my east coast stock tank that I bought from Tim couple of years ago that I never installed. The reason I chose not to install it is (1) my main battery bank is located under the galley counter on the starboard side also and I did not want to have the fuel tank (that could weight 200lbs full) on the same side, and (2) as you know west coast Tritons do not have galley access to the space under the cockpit (it would not fit through the cockpit hatch. Rob had already cut out the bulkhead and coverted his galley space into a quarter berth which extended out to the under-cockpit area. So he did not have any of my concerns.

Sorry neither one of us took any pictures of the tank before, during, or after the cutout project. My experience is that you will be very happy to have done that.

Best regards,
Ray D. Chang
kabauze
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Nevermind
Boat Type: Pearson Triton #450

Post by kabauze »

Triton106 wrote:
I chose to cut the tabbing along all four sides first to get the tank off the cockpit. Then I cut a V shaped tank top off (i.e. if you look at the top that is cut off from the fore and aft direction you see a V shape) so that the remainin bottom can slide out of the cockpit. So mine came out more or less in two large pieces.

Both of our tanks weight about 50 lbs and they are monsters. I am really glad that I did it because the tank is not only filthy (no access port built in as you know) the ethanol gas was really eating into it and it is just matter of time before it is completely eaten through (structurally speaking).
\

Wow. Yeah, I guess your experience is about what I was expecting! Were you able to use a Sawzall-type saw, or maybe an angle grinder? Or were some of the cuts by hand saw? #450 only has tabbing along the forward and aft tank edges, but that tabbing along the aft edge sure is hard to get to!

Yes, the old tank was completely unworkable for the reasons you mention. It was really too big (it takes a long time to burn through 25 gallons of diesel) and had no service port for cleaning. I had problems in rough weather with dirty fuel washed up from the bottom of that tank. Additionally, the tank isn't impermeable to diesel fuel, and has become soaked through and through. Finally, I don't like the amount of space it takes up in the cockpit wells. It makes access to the back of the engine and the stuffing box more difficult than need be.
I see you have already found a bulkhead tank that fits nicely. I am wondering what kind of tank you are using. I found an OEM tank from Moeller Marine (18 Gal, Model No. 1811) that based on my mock up could fit under the cockpit space ($232 plus shipping). I ordered it last week and expect that I should have it in couple of week.
I fabricated a 4 gallon diesel 'feed tank' out of stitch-and-glue plywood. It has a 20 mil epoxy lining and the entire top of the tank can be removed for cleaning. For the way I use the boat right now, 4 gallons is ample and I turn the fuel over often enough that I don't have to worry about it getting stale. Eventually I'll add a second, larger diesel tank (probably around 15 gallons) to complement the feed tank. I may try to fit it into the bilge.

Building the little feed tank was a lot of fun. It's slightly above the Westerbeke diesel so that even if the electric fuel pump fails, fuel will continue to flow. I replaced the bulky old Fram CCS1136 fuel-water separator with a new setup. Fuel feeds through a Wix/Napa 24770 1-14 filter base (http://www.fleetfilter.com/Store_ViewPr ... asp?Cat=68) and through a Wix/Napa 10 micron fuel-water separating filter 33522 ($8 each at fleetfilter.com).

My dirty fuel problems have disappeared! I'm sure you will be equally thrilled with your new tank. Will you have to construct a platform for it?

Anyway, I am sorry to have diverted things away from your original question about the bulkhead. What have you decided to do? The cockpit sole on #450 is pretty springy already and I wonder how it will be without the tank in place.
Triton106

Post by Triton106 »

Todd,
Wow. Yeah, I guess your experience is about what I was expecting! Were you able to use a Sawzall-type saw, or maybe an angle grinder? Or were some of the cuts by hand saw? #450 only has tabbing along the forward and aft tank edges, but that tabbing along the aft edge sure is hard to get to!
I used my Dremel tool with cutoff wheel to cut out the tabbing and angle grinder with cutoff wheel to cut off the top of the tank. I tried using hand saw but against 1/2 inch thick fiberglass it is not effective.
Anyway, I am sorry to have diverted things away from your original question about the bulkhead. What have you decided to do? The cockpit sole on #450 is pretty springy already and I wonder how it will be without the tank in place.
No worries. Springy cockpit sole is one of the reasons I am planning to install a bulkhead between lazarette and the space under the cockpit. The east coast Tritons have a partial bulkhead that sits under the cockpit sole and provides the structural support. However, now that the fuel tank is out the cockpit sole does not feel that different. But I also wanted to partition off the lazarette so that my stern anchor rode and chain won't slide into the bilge.

Best regards,
Ray D. Chang