Battery Hack

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
Allen
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Battery Hack

Post by Allen »

An inexpensive way to obtain AA Batteries

Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position

Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Post by Peter »

Allen,
Now that's very interesting. I had a 6 volt Duracell lantern battery (new) that wouldn't work so I pried it open and found .... tadaaaa .... 4 'D' cell Copper-Top batteries! (all with a full charge) and a spacer to fill up the case.
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
Allen

Post by Allen »

You got me wondering so I researched this and it turns out to be a fake. There are 4 cells in a 6V lantern battery which resemble a D cell battery only a bit longer, so don't go cutting up any poor old 6V batteries. Sorry about that, should always do the research before posting. :(
Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position

Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Post by Peter »

Ah, you gotta love the internet. I was wondering what kind of wiring they would need to make 8 sets of 4 batteries in parallel. I wonder how many people carved up a battery to find out!

Anyway, interesting stuff. The Duracell I opened up had regular Duracell 'D' cells, exactly like the off-the-shelf ones, label and all. There was a spacer in the bottom to make up the extra length. Gonna open up the old Rayovac as soon as it dies. Enquiring minds have to know ;-)
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
Allen

Post by Allen »

You know Peter, I thought the same thing when I watched them open it up, that the wiring didn't look as complex as I would have thought it should. Like they say about taking a test, always go with your first inclination. :)
Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position