Bronze or glass

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
Challenger949L
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: ESPADON Kittiwake
Boat Type: Sabre 28, Alden Challenger

Bronze or glass

Post by Challenger949L »

I am thinking of using bronze or fiberglass angles to support my cockpit sole. This is a wooden cockpit that needs a new sole. Does anyone have any thoughts on the positives or negatives of each. What thickness? Here are links to two site that supply these items:
http://www.wagnercompanies.com/site/vie ... e&rpid=580

http://www.mcmaster.com/ (search fiberglass angles)

Jimmy Small
Triton #662
Challenger #949L
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

For those who haven't seen an Alden Challenger, the hull with its stiffeners and the deck surface are 'glass, every other part of those lovely boats is wood. The cockpit, including lazarette hatches, gutters, ledges, coamings, sides, aft bulkhead are all traditional wood construction.

You've got a world of joints in that wooden cockpit structure. Given that you have to ensure that all those joints are bedded, glued or sealed, I don't think I'd do other than put the cleats back the way they were.

There's a dandy argument to be had about glassing wood boat repairs. I agree with the folks who say that you've got to be able to get it apart again the next time. That consideration may apply to how you install cleats/angles. Another consideration is how well the bedding will remain adhered between wood and metal/glass; the side angles would be, what, 5' long? Enough for expansion and contraction to break the seal between dissimilar materials. One presumes that most of the watertightness of the footwell is achieved by sealants between the sole and the sides, but bedding or gluing the structure below would seem appropriate.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Quetzalsailor wrote: ..............I don't think I'd do other than put the cleats back the way they were.
Me either.

I don't see any advantage to bronze or fiberglass, if anything the dissimilar materials may lead to problems. Either rebuild it it in wood and use wood technology, or rebuild it in fiberglass and use fiberglass technology.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
keelbolts
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by keelbolts »

You are generally safe in staying with original construction details. I have seen cockpits that derived part of their strength from being supported by bronze rod that ran from the beams under the cockpit sole up thru deck beams and/or carlins.
Again, I'd go with what was there. It's lasted 20 or 30 years I guess. I wouldn't 'glass the final product , but I might put a generous epoxy fillet around the bottom edge to keep water out.
Celerity - 1970 Morgan 30

How much deeper would the ocean be without sponges in it?