Clear exterior finishes

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Clear exterior finishes

Post by Quetzalsailor »

I skimmed the Forum for previous posts but...

Does anyone have particular favorite for a clear exterior finish on Teak? I'm looking for the traditional varnished appearance, and not surprisingly, decent application characteristics and adequate service life.

I've been using Epiphanes and have become deeply unsatisfied. Two primer coats and 5-6 topcoats is way too much work for 1 season service! Localized failure and lifting at damage and edges on my best work and generalized failure and lifting at edges on my 'repair' work.

I think that the Urethane exterior varnishes would be too tough for easy renewing, but tell me otherwise.

I've heard one friend's favorable report using the new Cetol clear and gloss topcoat.
Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Post by Peter »

I gave up on my Cetol Lite and have stripped it off. I'm giving an oil finish a whirl, as it has lasted well on the tiller ... just needs a refresh with an oily cloth every few months.

As usual, I used what was in stock: this time it was Flecto Varathane Natural Oil Finish, clear #66, Interior & Exterior.
Time will tell if it's up to the challenge of marine exposure.

Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
deckhand
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by deckhand »

I know it's not traditional but what about 2 part clear poly? Wipe the teak down with acetone first and put on top. I've been wanting to give the west systems water based 2 packs a try but have yet to borrow my friends Fuji pro hvlp. Some report it not having the warmness of the traditional varnish but that it holds up to the elements amazingly well. Maybe put varnish under it?
Dave
T30 #164 "Hobyn"
www.dkyrejko.com/hobyn
LazyGuy
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Post by LazyGuy »

Softer always goes on top. You can put varnish over epoxy or varnish over polly but if you put the soft product underneath, the harder product will peel off in sheets. So I recommend that you put the two part on first to protect the wood then the varnish for the warmth.
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

Just as a point of fact here.

We recently tried out some Rustoleum Spar varnish on a boat that will be kept stored inside. We've been sailing it since and that stuff is going away after less than three weeks exposure to the Texas sun.

I never expected it to last like Z-Spar 2015, but jeez- under three weeks is ridiculous.

I'm gonna have to refinish parts of the boat after next week when we get ready to put it away ( after the 4th)