Metals in small quantities

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Metals in small quantities

Post by Quetzalsailor »

I recall reading some time ago, and maybe not on this forum, that there's a seller of small quantities of metals, I think, in Boston. They mail order this stuff to you. Anybody know about these folks?

I'm lookin' for material for a new trim ring around the mast inside the head. The original was varnished Makore plywood, delaminated, repaired and painted: ugly. I want to replace it in painted aluminum to act as a huge washer to spread the loads of partners-mounted turning blocks for lines led aft. Thinking to use those Wichard eyebolts up top and either drilled and tapped or castle nuts below; one nut would be a Wichard eyenut to tie the deck down to the mast.
Ceasar Choppy
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

try http://www.onlinemetals.com

They are in Seattle, but they have good prices and are easy to deal with.
Shoalcove
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Shoalcove »

I've had good luck picking up stuff at machine shop/metal fabricators. I usually drop in personally with my request and am almost always successful. Half the time they have stuff in the scrap bin that is the size I need and sell it very cheaply or, occationally, give to me.
I find that letting paying customers ahead of you in line and politeness are good policy when you're begging.
Good luck,
David
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane

Post by Quetzalsailor »

I spent a little time sniffing the 'net. There are several sources like Online Metals.

Then I remembered McMaster Carr. They're a little more limited in alloy choices but cheaper. Excellent service, too.

http://www.mcmaster.com/
sal's dad
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by sal's dad »

Yarde metals sells cutoffs and scrap through their website http://www.yarde.com/. Go to "Drop Zone" and browse. Yarde is a serious supplier, specializing in marine grades of aluminum and stainless.

You want 5000 series aluminum. The Yarde website is a PITA (most items have zero scrap in stock), and you need to order $75 to make sense, but prices are as competetive as you will find.

Or, you might try posting exactly what it is you need - I have a bunch of marine grade aluminum scraps in the garage...

Sal's Dad
Triton 185
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: O'day Mariner, Pearson Triton

Post by Triton 185 »

Hello.....aside from purchasing new metal, have you looked into purchasing from a metal recycler. I seldom buy new metal any more because it is so much cheaper to buy it by the pound. Check it out; you will be surprised what you can find.
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Yes, I have shopped the recyclers. Got used steel beams, radiators. Tried to buy chunks of copper, but that's pretty rare. (if you're welding thin aluminum you can use a copper back-up to keep the molten aluminum from dropping out).

I've often used scrap stainless, but only for places that I did not care very much about; you can reasonably assume it's 304 if it's an old sink or signage. I've got a nice, but evaporating, collection of architectural aluminum (6xxx), which is good enough for occasional, as opposed to offshore, marine use, backup blocks, etc.

While the 5xxx alloys are advertised to be better for marine use, I ended up with 6061, architectural. Should be good enough where there is supposed to never be water...

One of the problems I had was that when I did my research and picked out the most evidently desirable alloy, 5086-H111, I then found that that alloy was not sold in the quantity and thickness desired.
sal's dad
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by sal's dad »

As I recall, the 5000 series is available mostly in plate and sheet; the 6000 series in extruded shapes, pipe, etc. My impression is most all of the 5000 and 6000 alloys will be OK in a "recreational" marine environment. On my aluminum boat, I used 5086 plate and 6061 /6063 shapes.

The Yarde site I noted sells the cutoffs at very near scrap prices, but will provide the paperwork to certify the precise alloy.

A good source for information on metals is Pollard's Boatbilding with Aluminum, also Gerr's Elements of Boat Strength.
JonnyBoats
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by JonnyBoats »

aside from purchasing new metal, have you looked into purchasing from a metal recycler.
In Port Richey, Florida there is a scrap metal recycler by the name of STR that sells scrap by the pound. They have two 40 foot containers set aside to hold choice pieces, one for stainless and one for aluminum. When they get something that looks good, they put in one of the containers.

Currently they are selling stainless for $2.00/lb and copper for $5.00/lb.

Recently I got a Fortress type anchor for $20 which I thought was a great deal!

Much of the pipe, tubing and plate has the manufacturers marking on it, so for example it is easy to find 316L pipe.

There must be a place like that near Philly.
John Tarbox
S/V Altair, a LeComte NorthEast 38
http://www.boatmaine.us