3 Cheers for Hamilton Marine Prop Shafts!

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
John, CD28
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Tiara
Boat Type: Cape Dory 36

3 Cheers for Hamilton Marine Prop Shafts!

Post by John, CD28 »

I must admit that after reading of Tim's nightmare getting a prop shaft for his boat, I was a bit nervous. I gave Hamilton Marine a call, and described exactly what I wanted. The lady asked what transmission, and she looked up the coupling for the TMC 40. She described the flange diameter, bolt pattern, bolt circle, hole size, and even described the pilot step. As I held the coupling that came with the motor and a caliper measuring what she described, it was clear she was looking at the right part in her listing. I told her the shaft needed to be 1" diameter, Aquamet 22, and 26" long overall - face of the coupling to the aft tip of the shaft. I took a deep breath, said a quick prayer, and placed the order.

I waited three weeks, wondering and worrying. I even had a nightmare of an otherwise beautiful dark hulled Pearson Triton motoring along with its prop turning in the water two boat lengths behind. I knew if the shaft was wrong, it would be at least another three weeks, and a delayed launch. I waited, and worried.

Yesterday, the big brown truck showed up at the house and dropped off a long narrow box: the moment of truth had arrived. Inside was a neatly packed, beautiful new 1" diameter prop shaft, exactly 26" long overall. And, the coupling is exactly right. The shaft is perfect; no burrs, nice threads, and no rough edges.

The season can't be too far off now!

Smiles,
John :)
Sailing involves the courage to treasure adventure, and the wisdom to fear danger. Knowing where one ends, and the other begins, makes all the difference.