US Composites

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
JetStream
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Sojourn
Boat Type: Pearson 27

US Composites

Post by JetStream »

I was just wondering if a lot of folks use these people for fillers. They seem to have prices that are way better than I've seen elsewhere for epoxy fillers in particular. I don't know how their prices for biax material and other stuff are. Anyway, the company is US Composites and their website is http://www.uscomposites.com/index.html
Bruce
Zach
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Zach »

I sit here waiting for the same answer... standing on one foot.

I was "This far" (Holds up fingers) from ordering a bunch of stuff from them today.

Zach
deckhand
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by deckhand »

I pretty much only buy from these guys now. I posted something about making my own quick fair with their medium epoxy and fairing powder a year ago, you can also see how it worked out on my site. Ive used their medium and fast cure hardeners (for almost winter work) and have not had a problem.

Cheap, fast shipping, good prices and really great selection. And no, I don't have any affiliation...

As for cloth, I get all of my biax almost at cost from a guy on ebay. He sells construction scraps in sizes that are just right for boat repair. I don't remember his handle off hand. I do remember buying a 30# mixed box of 45x45 / 0x90 biax for $1 and paying $18 shipping ... Hope he keeps it up, I have a long season ahead.
Dave
T30 #164 "Hobyn"
www.dkyrejko.com/hobyn
suntreader

Post by suntreader »

I've used their 4:1 fast epoxy with their fairing mix, this was as an alternative to the more expensive QuickFair. I haven't actually used QuickFair so I can't make a direct comparison but the fairing mix worked fine, the 4:1 kicked off faster than I would have liked, but its hot down here and with a little more experience I could do two fairing coats in a day.

The fairing mix comes out purple.

I haven't had any problems with the company as far as shipping or service goes but I haven't bought that much from them either.

I also use these guys for epoxy and glass:

http://www.jgreer.com/

David
Ancient Race
Almost a Finish Carpenter

Post by Ancient Race »

I hope they're okay; earlier this week I ordered a range of fillers, cloth and other stuff.

For epoxy, I generally get MAS from Infinity Composites on e-bay. It drop ships from MAS in NJ at a reasonable price. It costs more than the generic resins, (a little less than West) and I have to pay Ohio sales tax. But I feel some assurance that if I'm a little short for a project, or need to alter the hardener characteristics, I can run down to the local Boater's World and pick up what I need.

Greg
Tartan 27 #77
Seafarer Meridian 26
Jet 14 #952
deckhand

Post by deckhand »

suntreader wrote:
I also use these guys for epoxy and glass:

http://www.jgreer.com/
I bought my first 5 gallons from this guy. Either it was a bad batch or it was too hot out but I couldn't get this stuff to thicken up at all. I was mixing in colloidal silica to the point that it became more like lumpy almost set cement and it would just start sagging and melting in a few minutes. I still have a few gallons that I keep around for mixing up penetrating epoxy, works fine for that.
Dave
T30 #164 "Hobyn"
www.dkyrejko.com/hobyn