Stainless Steel, Hand Grab Rails .. for the cabin top

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
Jasper Windvane
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Stainless Steel, Hand Grab Rails .. for the cabin top

Post by Jasper Windvane »

My boat will be getting two new hand grab rails on the cabin top after she is core repaired, etc. I was looking at Hamilton Marine etc and they sell the ready made teak hand rails. But then I see the SS hand rails. I looked a little closer, huum I'm thinking. These a nice.

I went on a few boats sites to see what other boats use, most hand teak hand rails. I did see a couple of newer yachts with the ss hand rails.

The ones I like have a "pad" at the end of each loop. The pad has three holes in it for the mounting bolts to go through the deck to the cabin below. I was thinking of bringing the bolts through, also through a backing pad, then nut, then more bolt to go through a mounting teak board which will be on the cabine liner. To the board I can mount hooks, hand holds, and who knows what else.

What is your opinion of the SS hand grab rails for cabin top use.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I think the decision whether to use SS or wooden handrails is entirely a personal choice. If you like the look, then go for it. Most boats have SS pulpits and stanchions, so the look of SS for handrails isn't necessarily out of character.

Personally, I like wood and am willing to accept the inherent maintenance in order to have the warm appearance, but this is a decision each boatowner must make on their own.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

If you leave wooden rails unfinished, they're grippy. The stainless might be a bit slippery, unless they have knurled sections. OTOH if the wood would be varnished, that's probably not a deciding factor.

Not sure how grippy oiled wood would be, since I haven't tried that.

Also, I suppose it depends on if you actually use your handrails as handrails. With some boat/people combinations, the positioning tends to make them more of a place to tie things, etc.

Rachel
catamount
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: GREYHAWK
Boat Type: Peterson 34

Re: Stainless Steel, Hand Grab Rails .. for the cabin top

Post by catamount »

Jasper Windvane wrote:What is your opinion of the SS hand grab rails for cabin top use.

Me likey....
Tim Allen -- 1980 Peterson 34 GREYHAWK
Harborfields Housekeeping Cottages, West Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Sailors for the Sea, a new voice for ocean conservation