How to make a lifeline hung (beer)can holder.

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
manos
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Efaki
Boat Type: Mirage 28 - Thames Marine

How to make a lifeline hung (beer)can holder.

Post by manos »

Sailing in Greece during summer can be (is) very hot. A cold refreshment, a beer or a small bottle of water is always in need. I have seen this "device" made by fellow sailors who want their drinks close by at cockpit but at the same moment they don't want them spilled everywhere and which may be of use to other friends too. It is made from stainless steel wire or similar material. The shape is of a spring big enough to hold the can inside. Then the spring it's attached to a another wire that: in the bottom of the spring functions like a base to hold the can from droping. In the top, the spring bents to come "inside" the spring to the axis of center of gravity of the device so as to keep the can up right without spilling the contents. Take care to bent the wire in a distance enough to permit easily the can to enter - exit the spring. At last the toping edge of the wire is bent to a full circle so as to prevent the device going over the sides!! (Sorry that English is not my mother tongue to be more precise with these instructions. I hope that I'll be able to post a diagram to facilitate understanding what I'm talking about). (Tim please edit for spelling etc. the photo is here:http://www.sailingboatefaki.gr/CAN-HOLDER.jpg).