CG-1340 Official USCG Bill of Sale

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

CG-1340 Official USCG Bill of Sale

Post by Tim »

Click on this link for the CG-1340 bill of sale form in PDF format. This is an excellent default choice for any boat selling/buying transactions, and is the form most favored by the Coast Guard if you want to begin or maintain a documentation.

Form CG 1340 (PDF File)
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
cantstopnow
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Ariadne
Boat Type: Morgan M34

Re: CG-1340 Official USCG Bill of Sale

Post by cantstopnow »

Thanks Tim. I am in the process of purchasing a Morgan M34 and want to continue with its documented status.
Today is a great day to Go Sailing
1966 Morgan M34 K/CB
1965 Pearson Commander
1977 kells 28
1973 Paceship PY23
1971 Compac CP 16
JohnD
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: undecided
Boat Type: Pearson Triton EC #234

Post by JohnD »

Very good to have, thanks. I am going to start this process soon and am not looking forward to it because of the horror stories I have heard.
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Al
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by Al »

JohnD:

If your boat has been documented before, it is really not that big a deal. When I bought my first documented boat, I was so intimidated by the process that I paid someone to do the paperwork for me. The next three boats weren't documented and I didn't bother to document them. My current boat was documented so I bravely decided to fill out the forms myself and save some money. It takes the CG about three months to get to recreational reissues and I've been dreading the letter telling me that I'd made a mistake. To my surprise, today Santa delivered my new documentation papers.

It is a bit harder if your boat has never been documented before, but I'm sure there are owners of documented Tritons who would gladly share the measurements and tonnage that confuses most people.

Happy Holidays to all.

Al Lorman
ILikeRust
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Grizabella
Boat Type: Pearson Wanderer 30

Post by ILikeRust »

I don't understand the fear and dread. It doesn't seem to me to be too terribly complicated, and so far, I've found the folks at the USCG vessel documentation center will work with you. Their website and the forms tell you everything you need to know - just read it all carefully. And you can do it all by fax and e-mail, which is nice.

My boat previously had been a documented vessel - I believe since new (1968). But the guy I bought it from apparently believed it was too complicated or whatever, so when he bought the boat he let the USCG documentation lapse and registered the boat with the state instead. When I bought it, some friends of ours who have a sailboat strongly urged us to renew the USCG documentation. I spent an hour or so reading the USCG's website and the forms and sent in everything. That was back in August.

A couple weeks ago, I received a letter telling me they needed something showing the transfer of title from the previous owner (who had documented it) to the guy I bought it from. No problem; I have the Virginia title from the guy I bought it from. So I scanned that into a PDF and e-mailed it to them, about a week ago. Haven't heard anything yet, but I have no reason to believe there will be a problem.

It's just a bit of a waiting game - apparently, recreational vessels are pretty low on the priority list.
Bill T.
Richmond, VA

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible." - T E Lawrence