Perkins engine mounts

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
dkall
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Perkins engine mounts

Post by dkall »

Any one have a good place I can get some new mounts for our 4-236? Best price I have now is 71 bucks each. Don't know if that's good or not.
Dave-Westsail 42-Elysium
Ceasar Choppy
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

Ditto on a Perkins 4108. :)
dkall
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Bought mine already.

Post by dkall »

Lots of sometimes conflicting information out there and not knowing what is the best way to go. Used this site: http://www.bushingsinc.com/ and ordered them from go2marine .

At the bushings site there is at least an engine size mount size recommendation. I read the spec and they seem as good as any of the otehrs.

If I'm alive after the change out and remember I'll let anyone know how it went.

Till then, cross my fingers. :)
Dave-Westsail 42-Elysium
Ceasar Choppy

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

I got the Bushings, Inc. mounts for the Perkins 4108, but the ones I got didn't look right. The rubber mounts weren't pressed into the metal housing correcty and the studs on some of them were not straight. I returned them and got the PYI R&D mounts-- the 800-011s recommended by a PYI tech guy. We'll see how they work....
David VanDenburgh
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Ariel
Boat Type: Cape Dory 36

Perkins engine mounts

Post by David VanDenburgh »

I got this from Trans Atlantic Diesels. I know it's a little late, but maybe one for the archives. This is the style we have on our 4.108. I see they have other styles listed on their page.

You can link to their engine mounts page - Trans Atlantic Perkins Engine Mounts

David
Ceasar Choppy

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

The mounts I originally got and returned were from TAD. They are the Bushings Inc. mounts.

I have had good luck with TAD in the past and they had no problem taking them back. But it was interesting that the mounts TAD recommended were a size smaller than what Bushings, Inc. recommended for the 4.108.

The problem I had with the Bushings mounts is that on my installation, the stud on these mounts wasn't high enough. The mounting flange would have been riding on the very top of the stud which I don't think is necessarily a good idea. I could have put a spacer underneath the mount, I guess, but I'll see how the R&D ones work out and report back.