Rub Rail

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Rub Rail

Post by Jason K »

The aluminum rub rail has been pulled off of most of the starboard side. Anyone know where I can order a replacement?
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Why not take this opportunity to upgrade to brass? Hamilton Marine has a good selection of half oval brass and stainless.

Yes, brass...there seems to be no source for bronze half oval. But brass is fine for this.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Marshall Wright
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: s/v Sunset
Boat Type: Pacific Seacraft 25T

Brass rub rail

Post by Marshall Wright »

Tim,

I know this is an older post but I am about to order the brass for my rubrail.

Question regarding finish. How does one terminate the ends? Any leads on a nice termination piece?

Also, do I just butte up a run? These come in either 6 or 12' foot sections. Will need to create a longer run.

Thanks for any advice. Am holding off until I understand how to handle all the finish details.

Thanks,

Marshall
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Just butt the pieces together as needed to make your run.

As to terminating the ends, if you don't have a clear ending point against which to butt a 90° end, you could consider shaping the end of the piece yourself. Brass is easy to work. This would work better with a solid-back half-round rather than the hollow-back half-ovals.

I haven't ever looked for termination ends, so I can't say what might be available. I don't know of anything offhand.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

The finished ends to factory finished sections of rub rail chafe strips are usually tapered to a round. You can do this yourself easily on brass with a belt sander and/or file. You can do it to stainless this way as well, but it takes longer. Aluminum sections would need to be anodized to survive at all well, and your cuts and tapered ends would have this protection removed. Unless of course you can find factory made exact lengths. I'm a fan of brass and bronze too, but stainless is a viable option as well.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.