Sunbrella source?

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Sunbrella source?

Post by Figment »

Anyone have a favorite source for some sunbrella cloth?
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

Ebay.

Just bought 9 yards of 60" wide forest green for $70.

Ric
Figment

Post by Figment »

yeah, I was just looking at 4yards of Toast (not enough for a sailcover) vs. 17 yards (way more than I'd ever need) from that same seller. Once upon a time, I'd snatch up the 17 yards, use what I needed, and resell the remainder, but I'm just not in the mood for that lately.

On the other hand.... the purpose of this cloth is to give my aged mother something to do this winter. It may not be a bad idea to have plenty of screwup material on hand.
FloatingMoneyPit
Topside Painter

sailrite

Post by FloatingMoneyPit »

They may not be the cheapest, but Sailrite http://www.sailrite.com has been good to me. Their kits are always good, their website is great. You can specify every little option for all their kits online. But anyway, they have all sunbrella colors and will give you whatever length you need. Shipping is as quick as any other vendor.

Since commandeering my sister's Singer Scholastic, I've become quite the sissy. It's just so damn easy to make stuff when you get the hang of it. It ain't always pretty, but use thread of a similar color to the fabric and it works. I've made a sailcover, winch covers, tiller sock, and duffle bag, all of which easily pass the 10 foot rule. Working on sheet bags & weather cloths now. Contemplating the dodger kit Sailrite sells. Making simple envelope-type bags to hang in lockers is a cinch.
If you have a doting wife/mother/sister/friend who enjoys this stuff, fuggedaboutit.
Figment

Post by Figment »

You've prompted a question that I meant to ask in the first place...

Is there a special "Sunbrella" thread to use when sewing sunbrella? Something equally UV resistant, etc.?

It always seems like the stitching is the first thing to go, and I wonder if it might be due to improper thread material.
FloatingMoneyPit
Topside Painter

Post by FloatingMoneyPit »

The standard thread that sailrite sells for general sunbrella use is "Dabond", a form of polyester. That's about all I know. My only other experience with thread is the skinny colored stuff you get in those little emergency sewing kits sold at a pharmacy. The polyester is definitely beefier than that, and feels like it's treated with something which probably includes a UV inhibitor.
I just noticed Sailrite offers a "guaranteed for life" gore-tex thread. Can't beat that, huh?

http://secure.sailrite.com/items.asp?Ca ... =0&Tp=&Bc=
CapnK
Site Admin

Post by CapnK »

Definitely use a polyester thread. Dabond does have UV inhibitors in it, and is good stuff. Sunbrella is an acrylic fabric, and I think that the thread always wears out first because the acrylic is much more UV resistant than even treated poly. I haven't tried the Gore product, IIRC it is pretty darn expensive. Anything with the "Gore" label is, isn't it? (Except for maybe that Glide dental floss, which is Gore thread. :D )

Edit: I went to the Sailrite website and checked out the Gore thread, trade name "Tenara". The site says it sews best when the needle orientation is changed, something you can't do on a home machine since the needle has a flat sided base which keeps it in one direction only. Also, an 8 oz cone of it costs $150. Compare that with the $10.50 I paid for a 4 oz cone of Sunguard thread (V92) from the link below, and it gives you an idea of just how costly the Gore product is. As a side note, when I buy thread in bulk, I get 16 oz cones of V69 for about $14. Ole Mr Gore must need to pay for his own island or something. :D

Additionally, be sure to get the right/appropriate size of thread, at least a V69. Most canvas work I've seen has been sewn with a V92 thread, sometimes you'll see a larger size but 92 is really all you need. And actually, the 69 is a lot stronger than it would "seam" to be based on its size (groan, had to do it :) ), so if you have a light-duty machine, you have an alternative there.

Sailrite is pretty expensive, but as noted they have a great website and a *very* courteous and knowledgable staff. Another source less marine-specific, but good for outdoor fabrics and notions, is Quest Outfitters, down in Florida. They have a great selection of non-Sunbrella outdoor fabrics and things like smaller zippers than what you see at most marine chandlerys. Good project stuff.

Also, I bought some zippers and thread last week from CanvasDealer.com, saving about $12 over Sailrites prices (on a sub-$100 order), and getting free shipping to boot (over $90 is free shipping from them when web ordered). I used their website to purchase and the transaction and shipping was speedy. I didn't look too closely at their Sunbrella prices, but IIRC they were marginally cheaper than others I saw.

Usual disclaimers apply. :)
Kurt and Barque, the CrewDog.
Katie Marie, Ariel #422
Melelani, Islander 36 (shoal)

sailFar.net - Small boats, Long distances...
Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Post by Peter »

Just a quick question: Apart from "factory seconds", is there more than one quality or weight of 'Sunbrella'?
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
CapnK
Site Admin

Post by CapnK »

Weight: As far as I know, Sunbrella only comes in one weight. I've seen two types advertised, though - interior (uncoated/untreated) and exterior.

Quality: Second quality fabric is not planned that way, it's called that because it usually has some minor blemishes (water/dirt/coating spots, maybe some uneven dye, and extra yarn in the weft or weave, maybe a pull, that sort of thing), but nothing which detracts from the functionality of the product (usually), it's just not "perfect", so it gets sold "as is", and a bit cheaper.
Kurt and Barque, the CrewDog.
Katie Marie, Ariel #422
Melelani, Islander 36 (shoal)

sailFar.net - Small boats, Long distances...