Weatherstrip for cockpit lockers

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
vanguard64
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Alegría
Boat Type: Alberg 30

Weatherstrip for cockpit lockers

Post by vanguard64 »

Last year, I replaced all the weatherstripping on the underside of my Alberg 30 cockpit locker lids. I used a 3/4 X 5/16 rubber foam self adhesive strip that I bought at the local box store. It sealed well but with the summer heat, the locker lids became impossible to open without wedging a large screwdriver along the gap between the lid and the cockpit edge in order to open them. It seems there is an affinity between the surface of the foam and the fiberglass around the perimeter of the lockers. Is there a better solution or material to use?
Thanks,
Marcelo
lsheaf
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Stardust
Boat Type: Allied Seawind 30

Re: Weatherstrip for cockpit lockers

Post by lsheaf »

Hey Marcelo, maybe you can try using a neoprene rubber with a hollow core. It holds up very well in the marine environment. That’s what I will use.

McMaster Carr (download their mobile app if you have a smart phone) sells lots of different shapes and sizes. Some with an adhesive back even though I would personally use a 2 part contact cement such as Rema Tip-Top SC2000. Big River Rubber, out of Kentucky, sells kits for around 100 bucks. Unfortunately if you buy online, you won’t be able to hold the material in your hands to test its flexibility and compressive properties.
Maybe you could have them send you some samples (maybe for free if you ask).
Vince124
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Kintyre
Boat Type: Contessa 26

Post by Vince124 »

I'm looking for options for this too; everything I've used over the years has not lasted very long, nor provided a very good barrier to water ingress. The hollow core suggestion above won't work for my situation, as I need something wide and flat for both my lazarette seals and cockpit engine cover.
Any other suggestions out there?
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by atomvoyager »

I've been using whatever weatherstripping is available at the time on Amazon but it probably isn't the best for longevity. I do take care to apply it with 3m black super weatherstrip adhesive and don't rely on the self-adhesive backing that it comes with. And I apply the gasket to the lid not the framing where it will wear away. If you have trouble with the top of the gasket adhering to the frame then you might wipe or spray a non-stick coat on top occasionally. I may try sourcing something tougher in the future from McMaster-Carr. Let us know if you find something you like.