Metal toerails

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
JonnyBoats
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Metal toerails

Post by JonnyBoats »

Other than the visual aspects of metal vs teak toerails, are there any issues, problems, disadvantages to using metal toerals such as Goiot Aluminum Toerail or Merriman Aluminum T-Rail as a replacement for teak on a "classic plastic" sailboat intended for offshore use?
John Tarbox
S/V Altair, a LeComte NorthEast 38
http://www.boatmaine.us
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

They certainly are attractive because of the way they provide nearly endless opportunity to lash things down, hang fenders, etc. However....

They're hell on bare feet.
You can't really scarf in a dutchman to fix a bit of damage.
People tend to overestimate their strength, I think. I've seen a few cases where whole sections were pulled away because an unknowing foredeck crew snapped the guy block to the aluminum rail instead of a padeye. POW!!!
Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Post by Peter »

I've just restored mine (on a San Juan24). Had to weld in some aluminum patches, fill some gouges with epoxy, and give them a paint job.

They are held down with 48 #10 nuts and bolts per side, also clamping the hull-deck joint. The nuts had very small washers under them, so I'm putting back the largest fender washers that will fit.

They are great for attaching stuff to, and if fastened properly should give good service. I love 'em!
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca